Harper Resident Angered By University’s Late Decision To Shut Down

by Rosanna Brown
Collegiate Times
April 17, 2007

Editor’s Note: In recognition of the importance of free speech, Planet Blacksburg publishes the views of student contributors. The opinions expressed herein are not the official position of Planet Blacksburg and are not endorsed by the organization.

I woke up Monday morning. A seemingly normal morning, the thoughts in my mind raced over the days events. I had class at 10 a.m., a visual presentation at 12:20, a news story deadline at 2:00, and work at 2:30. It was the usual entourage of events and assignments that go through your head as a student preparing for the beginning of your busy week.

I was checking my e-mail, answering one from my mother regarding my wisdom teeth being pulled the week after classes were to finish. Less than four weeks left I thought.

I signed onto AIM to receive a frantic IM from a good friend of mine who lived in West AJ. It was 9:50 and I had a class that I needed to walk to begin to walk to across the Drillfield to Shanks. My friend informed me of a shooting that had occurred on the fourth floor of her dorm. I immediately checked my e-mail looking for notification from the school that classes were canceled, or that we were on some sort of lock down. My inbox had nothing to that affect.

I took it upon myself to not venture out that morning to class. There was a shooter on the loose and I had no idea where he could be and did not want to put myself in harm’s way. I made efforts to notify my friends and let them now to forget their classes that morning. The University shed no light on the situation at that point.

Little did I know while I was locking my suite door and closing the blinds that the murderer himself was in my dorm, Harper Hall, planning to cross the Drillfield to take the lives of many more students.

Classes were in full swing and my fellow peers were assured that the situation was supposedly “isolated.”

It is unfortunate that the individuals a part of our student body with the same dreams, aspirations, and challenges of daily student life were subject to such preventable violence.

Police officers claim that they had “reason to believe” that the shooter had left the campus. We all know what assumptions do.

There was nearly three hours between the two shootings and nothing was done to keep students away from harms way on a campus where a shooter was not yet contained.

A University like any other self-sustaining business must achieve a higher level of customer satisfaction in order to keep with other comparable institutions. In our case, we the students are the customer. It is the general consensus that as members of the close-knit community we are very disappointed by the loss of our colleagues, friends, and family involved with this incident. In the case of a business, the customers of Virginia Tech are experiencing grave disappointments with the security system.

The board of visitors met not to long ago so as to determine the budget for the University. Tuition was raised $500 for in-state students, $5,000 for out-of-state students. Not only this but efforts for buildings renovations, and new-buildings constructions, specifically a $20 million basketball practice facility. Nothing during the meeting discussed the increase in campus security in response to the Morva incident during Fall semester. There was no talk of the implementation of security cameras, heightened police staff in residence halls, an overall increase in the police regiment—nothing.

According to Larry Hinker our tuition raise is due to the state of Virginia not meeting budget board adequacy for University funding. The plan is to increase tuition approximately 6 percent every year for the next five years at Virginia Tech. Tuition is said to pay for only academic-related expenses.

Our safety is an academically related expense. Our academic infrastructure was shaken at its core by the death of 33 students on Monday. The recent increases in tuition and board discussion should have allotted a percentage of the budget to increased safety on campus.

The Morva incident was the perfect dress rehearsal for officials in August. After this incident, changes should have been implemented to secure and lock-down campus during times in which the student body may encounter potential harm.

Our past should be the mold for our future in order to prevent tragedies from repeating themselves.

Why was the campus not on lock down early Monday morning when blood was shed? Whatever excuses police officers and University President Charles Steger may provide will not bring back the lives of the 30 students attending class innocently in Norris Hall.

Officials failed to learn from experiences in August; thus failing the student body. Mr. Steger I recommend you sign your resignation papers soon.

I'm sorry, but even if they had locked down the campus, he would have been able to get back into the dorm since he was a student. He probably would have began shooting there instead. A lock down would not have stopped him. He was intent on mass destruction. It was a horrible event, but putting the blame on anyone other than the shooter is futile and pointless.

Cathy | April 17, 2007 11:15 PM

In Ohio our thoughts and prayers are with each and everyone of you,if you are a student,teacher,parent,or just work there. Peace be with you,at a time in your lives(some of you) that should be remembered to be HAPPY Ones.
Please, Please, young people
find a higher power,trust in it, and believe in it. Too mandy people have lost faith in this land.
I hope you all can move on and not let this stop your dreams.
Prayers For You!!!

Marsha Heidt | April 17, 2007 11:27 PM

Many excuses have been made with regards to the circumstances immediately following the first shooting: It was assumed to be an isolated domestic dispute. The Campus is too large. Too many people were commuting.

These are poor excuses. Regardless of circumstance, a double murder had occurred, and the killer was not yet apprehended. Classes could have been canceled, and police and campus security could have been posted at major thoroughfares to advise students to go home and lock their doors. As you say, this was already rehearsed earlier in the same academic year.

Had classes been canceled, perhaps the killer finds other victims, but they would not have existed in such a concentrated area. A large on-campus police presence may have deterred him altogether. The response was entirely inadequate, and in this security-conscious post-9/11 world we live in, there is simply no excuse.

I do not presume that the Chief of Police or Chancellor of the university were deliberately negligent, and I am sure they regret the incident, but they should assume responsibility for their mistakes and stop offering weak excuses to the students, faculty, and family members that have suffered this loss.

Lack of accountability is what creates killers like Cho Seung-Hui; people blaming everyone else for their problems. Let us not follow his example.

Franklin | April 17, 2007 11:42 PM

Rosanna, I thank the Lord for his protection on you!!! and wisdom to stay inside and warn others. Awesome writing, I wholeheartedly agree.

Danielle | April 18, 2007 12:21 AM

I have nothing but sympathy and prayers for the people of VT at this time. Three of my family members went to school there, and I have great memories of visits to Blacksburg.

I would suggest that there are a few mitigating circumstances that we need more time to study to determine what could have been done differently. And what should be done in future situations.

First of all the idea of 'locking down' the school may not be the panacea that people believe it to be.

Is there any evidence to suggest that the killings would not have occurred had the school promptly gone on lock down? The student in questions location may have been different, but if he is intent on his actions the spree happens in a different location.

Was there evidence to suggest that a school wide lock-down was needed? Certainly many people would say yes, the question is this belief based on the actions that followed, or the evidence and history of evidence that preceded the shootings at Norris? Point being that if the police had arrived at the scene of the first murder and seen clear evidence that a killing spree was in progress certainly it would be expected that a wider alert would go into effect. But if they arrive at the scene of a crime that appears to have been a singular event their training tells them to take more methodically calculated steps. In the latter case preserving evidence seems to be the wiser course of action. The idea here is that future events cannot impact current decisions. You use evidence and experience to take the most proper course of action. Now there is new evidence and experience and certainly that will alter future decisions. The reverse being that if this was a singular event and the police department doesn't act methodically enough the criticism would be about poor crime scene management.

Your point is astute that the police should have learned from the previous event in August. Indeed they most likely did, the fact that the police were able to apprehend the previous person probably reinforced their methods. These two events are more dissimilar than they are alike, but I digress.

The third question you have is a two parter: 1. Is it even possible to effectively 'lock-down' the university? & 2. What is a reasonable time frame to do so?

A quick look at the campus and you can see that there are probably over 100 ways on or off of the campus. The campus encompasses more acreage than central park by about 3x or so. It has been stated by law enforcement officials that central park would take (the considerably better equipped) NYPD roughly 2 hours to secure, and this may mean mostly perimeter security. Not comprehensive sweeps. Compare this to the VT response and consider that any responder to a homicide would most certainly do a focussed search for the 'person of interest' at the scene of the original crime. This search would take resources from a campus police staff that even in the best of circumstances would have a difficult time locking down the university. But in this case they have no ID, no motive, and they are casting a net from the center of a crime. I don't think under those circumstances that there is any egregious mistake apparent at this point. More information may come to light, but the fact is the police might not be able to truly 'lock-down' the University anyway without a major influx of officers that isn't likely even after the events that transpired.

The sad truth is that the answers that may come out of this tragedy probably point far away from the university. I have no doubt that the students of VT have been traumatized, that is certain. But I think that the best way to move forward is by understanding that the lessons learned from this event should be carefully considered and based on sound reason and fact. Not anecdotal experiences colored by anger and passion. The real facts of the police response will be informed by the details that are presented in due time. Unlike most jobs, in law enforcement you only really get one shot to get it right.

-g

greg | April 18, 2007 12:26 AM

I am a student at Fresno State in California. Early last year there was a shoot out at a bank. The shooter ran towards our campus which was no more then a quarter mile away to try to hide amoung the student body. he was a young guy, only 21 so he could easily fit the mold of a fresno state student. Within minutes of the man running to our campus there were emails sent out, all RA's were notified, campus police were shutting the school down and everyone was to either stay in their dorm/appartment or if you were one of the hundreds outside you were sent into any avaliable buildings to be held under lockdown. Then each student was checked. Bags checked, pat downs, etc. Even the dorms/appartments were to be searched looking for this armed and dangerous man. This whole process of notification and the carrying out of the lockdown was done with no longer then twenty to thirty minutes. The shooter was found trying to hide with 3 students who were in lockdown in a professor's office.
Our student population is slightly more then that of VT. My point is that the school could have been warned faster. they could have had a better lock down system. And it certainly is very possible to get students notified and aware of the situation in way less then 2 hours and 15 minutes. There is no way a shooter should be able to do leave one crime scene and travel a half a mile to another without being caught IF the police were doing their job with the investigation and the lockdown. Someone just didn't do their job.

Sam Rincon | April 18, 2007 1:11 AM

Rosanna, I love you! and you know this. I just want to say that the end of your writing is kind of rediculous. I mean it is not Steger's fault that this guy went insane. Yes things may have been handled better, and it could have saved lives to know about it earlier, but it also could have just made him act sooner or in a different place. He did live in the dorm and he could have gone basically anywhere. I do believe some people could have been saved, but putting blame for these terrible deaths on anyone but the guy who shot the people and shot himself is wrong. If you could have seen the standing ovation for Steger today, I believe your opinion might have changed. Its a terrible thing, and we should not make it more terrible by blaming those who are our leaders in the hokie family.

Lena | April 18, 2007 1:38 AM

Everyone at VT is in my prayers and thoughts.

From what I have seen and heard the VT Campus police had information that the suspect in the first murders had left campus and was headed out of state. I am sure a total lock down was given considerable thought. It was determined based on the available information at the time of the first murders that the suspect did not constitute a present danger to the rest of the population therefore a lock down was not indicated. People are making Assumptions based on all the facts which the campus police did not have at that point in time. We have to understand that at the time of the first murders the campus police had no credible information that the perpetrator constituted a danger to the rest of the campus population. Hindsight is 20 20. But based on the information the campus police had at the time of the first murders that is all they had to work with. I am positive that if they thought the murderer constituted a danger to the rest of the campus population they would have reacted in a very different and decisive manner.

May god bless you and watch over you in this time of trial.

Bob | April 18, 2007 2:38 AM

I feel for the students who are victims of this horrific event. The campus should have been locked down without question.
A good name, like good will, is got by many actions and lost by one. Mr. Steger I recommend you sign your resignation papers soon.

VT, Keep your head up!

Dylan | April 18, 2007 6:53 AM

Hello, I am a Canadian living in London, England. Everyday we are bombarded with news articles regarding stabbings or shootings that are going on in the Capital. What has happened on Monday has hit home about how fragile our lives are and how someone can take it away so easily. It is so tragic that these people who were educating themselves and others were taken away from us. This will stick with all of you involved forever. To all the families that lost someone I just want you to know that you have everyone's well wishes and are in my thoughts. oxoxo

Gena Davidson | April 18, 2007 8:09 AM

It was not my intention to place the blame of the horrific murders that took place on any one else besides the shooter himself. However, it is my intention to illuminate the issue of safety on our campus. Proper preventative measures should have been taken during the sequence of events on Monday. And, proper preventative measures should have been take after August and should not have been brushed off so easily by administration. Safety is a very large concern for on-campus residents and many others within the Hokie community.

Rosanna Brown | April 18, 2007 9:20 AM

My prayers are with you all. I have been following the tragedy at VT with great sadness - we have a friend attending VT. VT was one of my daughter's finalist schools (although she chose to remain in state in NC). This could have happened anywhere.

But I am disturbed by the fact that within the first 15 minutes of a double shooting the campus was not secured. From what I read, one victim was already dead at the scene, and one was a mortally injured victim when the police arrived. At that time, with 2 homicides and an unknown armed assailant, the authorities delayed any security action.

WHY? Because one victim was a female, shot by a male. They ASSUMED it was an isolated "domestic violence" event. The law enforcement authorities somehow looked at a man shooting a woman (and another man who they think was trying to intervene) as a contained, twisted but explainable, event. Therefore, the shooter was not perceived as a further risk. This decision had to be made in the first few minutes of arrival at the scene - before they had discussed a possible suspect with any witnesses, before they concluded he might be heading out of state.

Why did law enforcement assume that violence directed toward a woman was contained? If two young men had been shot, would different decisions have been made? Domestic violence is first and foremost violence. A person capable of killing 2 people is capable of killing many more.

Perhaps a future learning from this horrible day will be to take the gender of the victim out of decisions about security risk. As Sam stated, lockdown is reasonable, possible, and has worked effectively at a large campus like VT. But the first step is to consider any shooting an unjustified act of violence, and putting the protection of the students and campus staff from violence as the first action to be taken in response.

Carla | April 18, 2007 9:34 AM

As a Hokie parent, I have shed many tears over this tragic event. I don't think second guessing decisions is healthy. There is no one at Tech who would purposely endanger students. I think this young man was intent on his mission and would have carried it out one way or another. Maybe he would have laid low and waited for another day. Also, I remember the lockdown on the first day of the fall semester. I was talking to my son and he told me there were many students outside walking around, playing basketball, etc. - in other words, they were disregarding the lockdown. The blame for this tragedy lies soley with the killer.

Kathy | April 18, 2007 11:46 AM

Although it is unfortunate what has happened,a lockdown would have not prevented this. The shooter was hell bent on murder.How many times in the " real world" does somebody shoot somebody, take a 2.5 hour break and then go on a shooting rampage???NEVER. An isolated tragedy that could NOT have been prevented.

Bob Abouy | April 18, 2007 11:47 AM

Had your dorm been in lockdown, you would have been locked in your dorm with the killer. He had guns and a lot of ammo. He was going to kill lots of people lockdown or not. A lockdown just would have meant that the murderous rampage would have occured in your dorm building instead of Norris Hall.

Meg | April 18, 2007 12:16 PM

I don't think for a second that the authorities at VT wanted to put students at risk - only that they made decisions based on the gender of the first victim that unfortunately may have led to more serious consequences. Had those assumptions not been made, other more effective actions might have been taken. Not blaming - but a learning opportunity for all law enforcement and security forces. If this decision tree went wrong, it started down the wrong path when the law enforcement officials immediately started considering her boy friend as the suspect, rather than immediately taking steps to secure the campus from a shooter at large. Can't we learn from this knowledge?

As far as a lockdown goes, controlling potential criminals' access to victims is the first step taken to provide safety in the real world. I work at a location that had a workplace shooting rampage a few years ago. (Check this link for all the details, http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,164280,00.html
I can assure you that this is now an access-controlled workplace.

We lock our cars, we lock our homes, because it limits exposure to crime. A campus lockdown serves the same purpose in an extreme situation. It's a tool that can limit the impact of a criminal action. Those who comply with the lockdown increase their personal security. Those who chose to ignore it, at least have the information and make a free choice.

carla | April 18, 2007 12:54 PM

agree w/sam rincon's comment; very interesting to compare the actions at fresno state. btw, my understanding is that the shooter went *back* to his dorm after the first shooting to get more ammo, then made his way across campus. not sure of the timeline, but wouldn't a lockdown of the dorms given police a chance to catch him when he went back to his room?

clipper | April 18, 2007 1:05 PM

You kids are so naive. If 2 people were murdered in Fairfax County; the police would have responded in massive force, closed down roads for miles around, locked down all schools within miles until the murderer was caught. Emphasis on caught. Believe me it has happened before. The cavalier attitude by the administration after the first murders is incomprehensible. The state police should have been called in immediately. The Tech traffic cops and Blacksburg�s finest are not properly trained to handle a double murder. A double murder is a heinous crime that must be pursued relentlessly. So sad � take care.

Class of �76

Fairfax | April 18, 2007 1:25 PM

As an alumni of VT, I am shocked and horrified by the actions of this evildoer, everyone understands that it ultimately was his actions that pulled the trigger, not the school officials or the gun. However, Ms. Brown has a very valid point that safety should come first over althetics and building projects. Keep on the charge, as the very foundations of learning require a safe environment. It shocks me that a better program was not implemented after a shooting early in the year and multilple bomb threats--this should be fixed now!

Grayson
Class of 2002

Grayson | April 18, 2007 1:29 PM

I can't imagine what was going through the minds of the administration early Monday morning.

The thing that bothers me is the lack of value placed on the two lives taken in the dorms. Are two dead students not significant enough to cancel classes until you can take time to sort through the facts? Whether or not it was a domestic dispute or not, you have two dead students and you do not know if the perpetrator is among them or not? You do not know, so you have to assume the worst. If someone has killed, then they have nothing to lose by killing again. If classes had been cancelled, students would not not been concentrated in classrooms. Yes, they would have been in dorms, but they could have been in small LOCKED rooms. There should also have been a strong police presence throughout the campus as a precaution as well. I know that the police were doing their best and I have the highest respect for them. I have had many family members in law enforcement. However, the administration was not prepared for anything like it. You may not expect something like this, but you ALWAYS prepare for it. God bless all of you in the Virginia Tech family as you struggle through this. There needs to be an attitude of forgiveness (as demonstrated so well by the Amish after their shooting incident last year), but there also needs to be accountability. Someone needs to stand up and take responsibility for the decision and admit that some things could have and should have been done differently.

Michael | April 18, 2007 1:32 PM

Again, it is next to impossible to judge this situation without knowing what information the police had and when. You can say the Fairfax county police would have etc. But the truth is you don't know yet. No one does. At this time I think it is imperative not to jump to conclusions. Everyone wants to believe that something more could have been done. Time will tell what might have changed the situation.

It's OK to be angry, just wait until you know all of the facts.

greg | April 18, 2007 2:23 PM

I graduated from Tech in '73. I took many French classes in Norris and Holden, and lived in AJ for two years. We never worried about key cards, guns, buildings were never locked, the libraries were open 24 hours, and we had about as many students then as Tech does now.
Those of you who had the privilege of being educated at this wonderful institution during those days know how safe we all felt.
It appears that most of that innocent freedom that we had back then has long since been replaced by limited-access entry to dorms, locked buildings, reduced library hours, emergency phones and a general sense of fear. When does fear ever help prevent unforeseeable incidents? It does not prevent them. But it does create a lack of trust all around. Lose the trust and you have lost much of what makes a tight-knit university so special, memorable and a part of your life forever.
People who blame President Steeger and the police have lost trust in the administration. I hope they will recognize one day that they expected too much of mere mortals during this tragic event. My reading of the reports in no way implicates the administration or police for faulty decisions. They made decisions based on facts as they were known. It may make us feel better for the moment, but finger pointing at this time is counter-productive. There will lots of time to do that later.

Garland Tillery | April 18, 2007 2:31 PM

i have been reading and watching the newa all day long i am a mother of two children and i felt i had to post a comment. i have to say my heart and soul goes out to the families and students that have lost thier loved ones and thier lives. i live in britain in england and only know what i have read, i have seen all the innocence faces in the newspapers of the lives that have been taken away so tragicaly. i have read the messages of the people that have survived this monster attack i have been in tears all day and will never understand why this had to happen. i may be an outsider that will never visit your country but i still have faith in the american people god bless you all and lets never forget the heros that you and your country have lost lost all my thought and love are with you all. god bless.

maria | April 18, 2007 2:48 PM

On my original post the evening of 04/16/07 I asked a very similar question. I must agree with the author of this article. Were one of my children a victim of this senseless tragedy, as a parent I would not rest until the questions presented in this article were answered and responsibility placed exactly where it belongs. The govenor has stated that there will be a full investigation, I certainly hope so! One where the person in charge has no conflict of interest in placing blame where it belongs. Two students where shot at approximately 7:30 A.M. both later died, students were not notified immediately of the extend of that initial tragedy. Campus should have been locked down IMMEDIATELY, vehicle access and egress to campus should have been blocked to all but emergency responders. A building-to-building search should have been conducted. The gunman was in a dorm that was not that far away from his first victims. He would still have smelled like gun powder, the people putting themeselves in harms way are paid to do so and would have had weapons of their own and flack jackets. I have no doubt that there would have been a loss of life involved in this situation but certainly not the numbers that were put in jeopardy by the lack of a logical tactical reaction to the initial shootings. The film and video that has been viewed by the whole country shows an incredible amount of police presence but absolutely no coordination of forces. Even this grandmother (and first responder) could have done a better job of incident command. The futility of not having a trained person in command of this incident is supported by the horrible loss of life and injuries sustained by the faculty and student body. Shame on someone!

Julie | April 18, 2007 3:52 PM

God Bless each and every one of you, and please keep God in your hearts at this most horrific time in your lives.

To Rosanna Brown...Kudos to you for standing up for what you believe. More people should have your courage. There needs to be change here, and it needs to start with young people like you. I wholeheartedly agree with what you have said.

I'm a NY college mom, so I see this from a third party prospective. I know enough to say that if there had been text message warnings instead of email warnings, this news would have gotten to those who desperately needed it much faster. Students carry cell phones whereever they go, and text messaging seems to be the new emailing for the most part. The phone would have given each person a signal that there was a message, and for those who didn't get the message, others would have passed it on immediately. That phone could have served as their lifeline. I honestly think this would have saved lives.

And what about the professor who reported the killer to police, who told her they had nothing to go on, and he would have to act before they could do anything? I wish somebody would answer that question.

Melinda | April 18, 2007 4:43 PM

Cathy O'Brien was a CIA mind-controlled presidential-model sex slave. She and her daughter Kelly were models for River Tam in Firefly/Serenity. Old news.

Cathy O'Brien knows all about Blacksburg Virginia, the little town where giant Virginia tech is located. They wrote about it in their 2nd autobiography, ACCESS DENIED FOR REASONS OF NATIONAL SECURITY, about her daughter Kelly being lobotomized by Vanderbilt University Medical Center, under court order in Knoxville Tennessee (my home city).

Quote:

From Mark & Cathy - April 16, 2007
www.Trance-Formation.com

Hi ... sadly ... though predictably ... it is major D.C. diversion time again to focus folks away from what Congress and the Executive branch are infighting about today: More $ for the wars being waged against countries that have never done anything against the US.

Below this intro are some direct quotes from our book "ACCESS DENIED"...about a tiny little town in Virginia ... Blacksburg we felt strongly would eventually become "news"!

WHY.... because Blacksburg houses (underground in the side of a local Blacksburg mountain!) the best kept US government's ABOVE TOP SECRET laboratory for developing/applying (as in Cathy's case) such weapons such as human robotic mind control programming.

Ask yourself... "how ironic" that a tiny little town, as disclosed about in ACCESS DENIED in Virginia could HOST the worst school massacre in US history on a day of extreme importance that a so called "showdown between Congress and the Pentagon/Executive Branch" over the war funding and pulling our troops out ... to most likely divert the people's attention away from what is being perpetrated against all of u.s.

PLEASE consider why we entitled this chapter (22) (your) "NEED-TO-KNOW"!

Please, we beg of you ... consider today ... do it now ... strongly recommending our book "ACCESS DENIED For Reasons Of National Security" to everyone on your mailing list as a MUST READ NOW ... as they have a "need-to-know the facts that support why we include such "notable mention" of Blacksburg, Va., population 48,595 minus 31.

From "ACCESS DENIED For Reasons OF National Security" , chapter 22, page 160, 2nd edition

Cathy: What?s DARPA?

Mark: Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency[1]. It?s the most Top Secret special weapons development lab in the world.

Cathy: I?m glad I don?t know about that one.

From "ACCESS DENIED For Reasons OF National Security" , chapter 22, page 161, 2nd edition

Below is the exact recorded dialog between Mark & Cathy while driving to a Washington D.C. speaking engagement.

Mark: You?ve talked about, only not by name. It?s in a sleepy little town in Virginia.

Cathy: Oh, that place, I shuddered. I guess I didn?t Need-to-Know the name when I was there. Isn?t it called Blackbeard or Blackbird or something like that?

Mark: Keep looking until you see a road sign in memory.

Cathy: Blacksburg!

Mark: Yes! I was aware of it when I was couriering file tapes for Ampex. My perception of DARPA is that it holds the key to what is eroding the soul of America- and the world. Everything I know may still be classified.

Cathy: Then I won?t ask you what you saw. I said, aware that laws of Sedition could result in his imprisonment if anyone found out he was talking.

(footnote on page 161) [1] Wear anti-virus firewalls if/when seeking further information online regarding DARPA!

Thank you, for your time to read this and pass it along to everyone you know ... and for your help to reach ones who are not so well informed as you.

Peace,
Mark & Cathy
www.trance-formation.com

Naked Cathy O'Brien and Kelly were hunted by Dick Cheney's Most Dangerous Game before he raped them and murdered US special forces soldiers via suicide under mind control by asking them to jump out of helicopters without parachutes
www.archive.org/details/tmdg_trailer
www.archive.org/details/tmdg_broll
www.gnn.tv/videos/3/The_Most_Dangerous_Game

Cheney Impeachment delayed by convenient school shooting: Dennis Kucinich officially filed charges of impeachment

Neo-Cons To Spin VA Massacre As Terrorist Attack:
Korean (is not Koran) shooter allegedly carved Islamic "Ismail Ax" in his dead arm (or somebody did)
www.prisonplanet.com/articles/april2007/180407terroristattack.htm

Quote:

"We need a program of psychosurgery for political control of our society. The purpose is physical control of the mind. Everyone who deviates from the given norm can be surgically mutilated. The individual may think that the most important reality is his own existence, but this is only his personal point of view. This lacks historical perspective. Man does not have the right to develop his own mind. This kind of liberal orientation has great appeal. We must electrically control the brain. Some day armies and generals will be controlled by electrical stimulation of the brain."
-Dr. Jose Delgado, Director of Neuropsychiatry, Yale University Medical School prof and CIA mind control scientist, Congressional Record, No 26, vol 118 February 24th, 1974

And this Jewish CIA electrical engineer professor at Virginia Tech was playing psycho surgery with student's brains:

Quote:

Curriculum Vitae for F.W. Romberg

EDUCATION

Medical School, Fall 2006 Entrance, Details TBD

Postbaccalaureate Prehealth Professions Program Certificate, Occidental College, 2005
Completed 16 semester units of biology and organic chemistry coursework and laboratories in preparation for entrance to medical school
Advisor: Prof. Chris Craney

Masters of Science, Electrical Engineering, California Institute of Technology (Caltech), 2000
Primary coursework and research in high frequency circuits and electromagnetics
Caltech Microelectronics Group, Advisor: Prof. Ali Hajimiri

Bachelors of Science, Electrical Engineering, Virginia Tech, 1995
Mobile and Portable Radio Research Group, Advisor: Prof. Brian Woerner

Experienced Electrical Engineer with Strong Leadership and Mechanical Background is Applying Skills to a Medical Career with a Surgical Specialty

Cognizant Engineer, Planetary Aerobot Testbed (PAT), 1996?97
Responsible for the development of a low-cost communications solution using COTS hardware; provided RF communications for video and flight data links supporting robotic balloon (Aerobot) flights in California and Hawaii that tested possible Mars atmospheric entry technologies

UNITED NATIONS, Baghdad, Iraq
Weapons Inspector, Office of the Special Commission (UNSCOM), 1997
Given my acquired knowledge of the Scud, a former Soviet-made missile modified by Iraq, I volunteered for an overseas assignment for about a six week period in Baghdad, Iraq and various parts of France. I was on loan to the United Nations by the US federal government to provide technical expertise of the four variants of the Scud missile used by Iraq in the Persian Gulf War. My specific purpose was to participate in an international UNSCOM mission to verify the destruction of fuel and oxidizer as claimed by the Iraqi government in connection with the implementation of Section C of the United Nations Security Council resolutions 687 and 715(1991).

CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY (CIA), Langley, Virginia
CITO RF Technologist, Clandestine Information Technology Office, Hardware Systems Team, 1998
Management of RF and analog hardware design tasks were performed to support foreign intelligence operations of interest to national security; extensive fieldwork and foreign travel; tasks were conducted while on a JPL LOA

CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY (CIA), Langley, Virginia
Foreign Military Weapons Analyst, Office of Transnational Issues (OTI), Missile Systems Team, 1997
Three month position as Foreign Military Weapons Analyst; general areas of technical knowledge include liquid propulsion, guidance and control, payloads, missile integration, and flight test systems of specific foreign ballistic missiles; tasks were conducted while on JPL LOA

VIRGINIA POLYTECHNIC AND STATE UNIVERSITY, Blacksburg, Virginia
Undergraduate Student Research Assistant, Mobile and Portable Radio Research Group (MPRG), 1995
Completed an engineering project to design and demonstrate spread spectrum modem capabilities; a complete programmable digital spread spectrum transmitter and receiver was delivered for research use

VIRGINIA POLYTECHNIC AND STATE UNIVERSITY, Blacksburg, Virginia
Undergraduate Student Research Assistant, Satellite Communications Group, 1992-93
Functioned as a student team member to design and deliver earth stations for NASA?s Advanced Communication Technology Satellite (ACTS); responsibilities included performing machining tasks and documenting the design and assembly of the prototype earth station using CADD tools

www.romberg.us/html/Pages/CurriculumVitae.html

Student and faculty are appalled that CIA stalks students at Virginia Tech, for perping kidnapping, torture and mass murder.

Quote:

"The single shooter was unusally effective at killing, almost as if he had been trained to do so." --mparent7777

CIA recruiting at Virginia Tech

For the second time this year, the Central Intelligence Agency will be coming to Virginia Tech to recruit students. And for the second time this year, they will be met with protests from students who view the CIA as an immoral organization that engages in torture and murder.

On November 2nd, 2005 the Washington Post published an article entitled ?CIA Holds Terror Suspects in Secret Prisons?. The article reported that the CIA has set up a covert network of secret prisons and interrogation centers, known as ?black sites?, in several countries around the world, including several democracies in Eastern Europe and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Prisoners at these facilities are held indefinitely and often in isolation, without due process of the law. Moreover, CIA interrogators working at these sites are permitted to use the CIA's approved "Enhanced Interrogation Techniques," some of which are prohibited by the U.N. convention and by U.S. military law. Among the tactics approved for use are "waterboarding", intended to induce in prisoners the idea that they are drowning.

While intelligence officials defend the unrestricted operation of these sites as necessary for the successful defense of the country, it should be noted that both the sites and the suspected practices carried out at them would be illegal if operated within the USA, which is a signatory to the U.N. Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment. Importantly, the same is true for the democratic host states in Eastern Europe where some of these sites are located.

The 'Teach In' will take place on Thursday, Nov. 17, 5-6.30pm, in Torgerson 3100. The event will feature talks by Virginia Tech instructors and the presentation of a draft letter to President Steger's office, signed by a number of concerned Virginia Tech faculty and students.

The letter will request that Virginia Tech place a moratorium on all CIA activities on Virginia Tech's campus until such time as a thorough and independent investigation certifies that the organization has been thoroughly reformed and no longer engages in practices that contravene international law and basic standards of human rights.

The CIA's scheduled 'career information' session will take place at 7pm in the same location.

Sponsoring campus organizations include: The International Club and Amnesty International at Virginia Tech."

www.wakeupfromyourslumber.com/node/1263

George Bush, the Bin Ladens and the Queen of England now own Serenity via Pentagon CIA contractor Carlyle Group (aka Blue Sun), which staged a successful hostile takeover of Universal Studios. Carlyle's propaganda division also includes NBC News and MSNBC. Jr Bush's convicted Nazi grandfather Prescott Bush was on the board of CBS News.

"'They're hurting us. Get me out!' The Government was playing with her brain. They opened up her skull and cut into her brain. The only reason you do that is to lobotomize somebody. They did it over, and over..."
-Dr Simon Tam, Firefly

John Lee | April 18, 2007 4:58 PM

Rosanna, you are asking questions that need to be and will be asked in official inquiries when authorities will be called to account for what they did and when, not only during the shootings but before that, in regards to student Cho. It now seems clear that the authorities were on notice that he was deeply troubled and potentially dangerous. What did anyone do about that?
And not just the responsible authorities, what about his peers, those who knew this kid was in trouble? Too late now for second thoughts, and "what if" is easy in retrospect, but for the future everyone should try to look out for kids who need help and advice, or maybe just a friend.

Those who have commented thus far overlooked what you were saying towards the end of your post on the origin and use of university funds. Too bad, because that has become very relevant. VPI is supposed to be a state school, a public institution of the Commonwealth, yet what percentage of the Tech budget comes from the State? What is the history of that percentage? Is it really a "State" school if it does not receive major funding, oversight and control from the public and their elected representatives including governors?
Or has it become primarily a business, which you infer by referring to students as customers? A business that raises its capital through tuition, as you point out, but more and more by attracting donors, and to do that by mounting a national sports program, for example, requiring major funds for high paid staff and facilities, and budgets where student security and quality services for mentally disturbed students may move down in priority.
Did this in fact happen at Tech? It seems so from your excellent analysis. Did any official at the state level say wait a minute Tech, you have your budget priorities wrong?
I was shocked to learn recently how little the State contributes to my alma mater, UVA. From the President on down every authority at UVA is under great pressure to raise funds from donors. It seems to take up a good deal of their time, and in short in my view Mr. Jefferson's University has also become a profit-making institution, in the main a private corporation, accountable more to itself than to the public or to the "customers".
State support for higher education in Virginia? Ask the governor. Ask him if the State is effective in seeing to it that campus security and mental health services at the "State" schools are properly funded. Are there any state inspectors who see to it that these essential services are effective?
Ask the Virginia public also-- they elect the ones who have eroded public financial support for higher education over the years. In my opinion if the elected officials and the public continue to put funding and oversight for "State" higher education on the back burner, another student Cho can and will appear any time at any one of these institutions.
It doesn't have to be like that. I live in France which is one of the many countries where the public purse is the major source for higher education. It is expensive but the public likes it that way. They grumble put pay the taxes that keep tuition low for the students, provide them with housing grants, and excellent security and health facilities. Career public servants and state inspectors see to it that university security and mental health programs are administered effectively.
Keep up the good work.

Jerry | April 18, 2007 7:53 PM

My heart goes out to the author in the wake of a clearly traumatic event, but would the preference here really be to be "locked down" (whatever that would really mean) in one's dorm with the killer and hundreds of other students?

Sam Rincon seems to think a Fresno State "lockdown" where the shooter "was found trying to hide with 3 students who were in lockdown in a professor's office" was effective?!? Well thank God his intent wasn't to kill students.

Honestly, second guessing is quite pointless. You're talking about closing down what is effectively a small city. It can't be done in 20-30 minutes. You'll end up with thousands of unaware students wandering around campus. Someone intent on killing and being killed in the process will find some way to do it at least some of the time. They will learn whatever the "lockdown" plan is and use it to their advantage.

Also, athletic funds (ticket sales, athletic department donations, etc.) pay for a basketball practice facility, not tuition.

Joe | April 18, 2007 11:41 PM

Please keep watching the news as more information appears and you will see that a very tragic situation wasn't going to be avoided that morning. Little if any evidence would have pointed to Cho after the first shooting. Had campus been closed down, the shooter would have found out through his e-mail and waited until campus reopened, or just walked down to West End dining Hall (30 seconds from his dorm) at lunch time and shot everyone there.

Don't form opinions trying to place the blame on any one person. It was a tragic event. Learn from it.

Ed | April 19, 2007 12:37 AM

In response to JOE, believe me when i understand the stundent population of VT to be close to 30,000, the size of a small town and fresno state's population is the same with just under 30,000 enrolled. My point was in response to Mr. Steger saying that it wasn't possible to notify and lockdown that amount of students. Well guess what, fresno state with its similar population did do that exact thing, and well under the time of two hours.
Mr. Steger said that they tried to warn students through email. That they did lock the school down but lifted it because they THOUGHT it was an isolated event and was a "domestic dispute" and that the killer had left campus. Well just because a shooting involves a man and a woman doesn't mean that its domestic! Those there are HUGE assumptions. Yes, ASSUMPTIONS. Going off of what police and security think rather then what they know is not a good tactic at all and if more crimes were handled this way I can only image how sevre other situations would be.
Because of the lockdown at fresno the day a shooter was loose on our campus he was found. Yes he was amoungst students, no he did not kill them, but we all knew what was going on before the shooter was found.

Mr. Steger needs to resign.

Sam Rincon | April 19, 2007 1:27 AM

If, by writing your comments it has in some way allowed you to come to terms with what has happened, then fine. Hind sight is a perfect science, where making decisions in real time with limited information, if very hard, and normally far from perfect.

Ron Norton UK | April 19, 2007 5:05 AM

who wouldn't second-guess? since when are we automatons who don't think, who don't look back and say - "how did this happen?" and of course, "how do we keep this from happening again?"

to those who wouldn't second-guess, put your hand on a hot stove a few times. as to the rest, i hope you keep on VT to do something about the process of securing your campus. not informing people after the initial incident is inexcusable... i have been troubled by why they would assume it was a domestic dispute, but carla has given a plausible explanation. otherwise, the police's actions that morning have absolutely NO explanation: two people dead, a killer on the loose - no notification. that simply is not fathomable - so what happened?

anomyous | April 20, 2007 12:09 AM

"Planet Blacksburg" can put some distance between itself and the legitimate questions posed by Rosanna Brown and others, but the questions will not go away until it is finally determined probably in court if the institution and/or its staff were at fault through the lockdown delay and by not providing reasonable mental health care to a student.
Whether or not State funding and oversight for a so-called State institution was adequate is a public issue which I hope people like Rosanna will continue to address. If the Governor and others are saying look forward and not back, it may be that they want to avoid some embarrassing questions.
If you don't look back and analyse what happened, you won't learn anything and the tragedy will really be senseless, and you as confused and helpless as citizen Cho.

Jerry | April 20, 2007 3:16 AM