Poem: We Are Virginia Tech

by Chris Meister, Class of 2003
April 28, 2007
VT ribbon

Today is a day that we will always remember.
April 16th will be a dark day forever.
A day that we cannot explain;
One that is full of sorrow and pain.

It‘s hard to believe something so bad has happened to this community.
One that is so full of courage, spirit, friendship, strength, support, and unity.
How one person could take the lives of 32?
Is something we will not understand how anyone could do.

Anyone who has ever been to VT knows;
How much spirit and strength the Hokies show.
Day in and day out we are often seen as one.
Win or lose we’re together when the day is done.
We support our school, logo, colors, and mascot all the time.
It’s sad to think so many others see this place as one of crime.

Virginia Tech is such a good place to be.
A family of friends, staff, and alumni are we.
To us, maroon and orange are the very best colors.
It is something that cannot be explained to others.

Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi
We are the mighty VPI
We will get through this and we will move on;
But we will never forget those who are gone.

We are Virginia Tech and we will prevail.
We will be louder and stronger and we will not fail.
We will continue to represent our school and all of our teams.
And we will encourage others to pursue all of their dreams.

Very well done Chris my friend, very well done.

Jim Thorn | April 28, 2007 8:09 PM

I agree with Jim Thorn ... well done! Though I only met you once, I have never forgotten you and the spirit you presented in our meeting. VT has to be proud of you.

Bill Murillo | April 28, 2007 8:22 PM

I am a chinese.I heard of the terrible news through the VOA.and I am so sorry to hear that.but I still believe in Virginia Tech

Beaman | April 28, 2007 9:00 PM

Christine, I love you and your spirit. Your poem was from your heart and you have touched mine. To all VT students, staff and families, my prayers go out to you. God Bless

Aunt Mary | April 29, 2007 1:34 AM

What a beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing it with everyone.

anonymous | April 29, 2007 9:09 PM

123 Thanks for sharing your poem.

Jeff Gethers | April 30, 2007 8:45 AM

Christine,

Your words are heartfelt and inspiring and I'm sure they will touch the many students, faculty and alumni of Virginia Tech in a very profound way. Our thoughts and prayers are with all the families and everyone who has an association with the Hokies. I love you.

Dad

Dad | April 30, 2007 9:46 AM

(((((((((((((((((((((((VT)))))))))))))))))))))))))

rose | May 1, 2007 12:02 PM

I think that you did a good job with this poem. I've been to Tech for the State 4-H congress where as a freshmen in high school I won 1st place inmy presentation and every year that I went to congress I actually stated in west aj so on the 16th of april last year it really hit home for me not only going to Tech with 4-h I have several close frineds thaqt go to Tech as well as a younger cousin. I have also meet Bob Meadows aka Bobbly Bob and I also know Tonya Taylor whoI was in 4-h with and she was also our extention agent with 4-H in rockingham county so I'm one of thoughts people that are glad and proud to say they are a Hokie also. I remember setting down and crying the whole day last year while it was hopeing I couldn't pull me self away from the TV until I know that everyone was ok and safe.
I'll always be a HOkie even thought I have never attened VT. I'm proud of allof those kids that do go there to gt their education.

Christina | April 15, 2008 2:19 PM