The Senseless Violence Began in West Ambler Johnston

by Kevin Tosh, Contributing Writer
April 16, 2007

As a bitter wind blew and a light snow fell over the campus of Virginia Tech, the morning hustle and bustle of an average Monday morning was quickly quieted by a senseless act of violence.

A lone gunman entered West Ambler Johnston Hall on the campus of Virginia Tech and killed two people - one of them identified as Resident Advisor Ryan Clark - shortly after 7 Monday morning.

A resident advisor is a student dorm monitor.

West Ambler Johnston is a co-ed dorm that houses 895 students near Cassell Coliseum.

At approximately 8:15 a.m. students on the fourth floor of West Ambler Johnston were notified by their resident advisor of an emergency and then moved to a another location, according to Ramon Mata, a computer science major and fourth floor resident of West Ambler Johnston.

“ I was woken up by my RA banging on my door at around 8:15 a.m. this morning,” said Mata. “All he said was, there’s an emergency, go to the third floor crossover.”

According to Mata, no gunshots were heard and he slept through the incident.

By mid-afternoon the central elevator, stairwell and fourth floor of West Ambler Johnston were still closed as the investigation continued.

The Virginia State Police, Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department and other agencies were armed and stationed throughout campus and around West Ambler Johnston as the day progressed.

This police presence continued to keep order and instill a sense of safety for the students.

“I think we’re pretty safe,” said Mata in afternoon interview. “Altogether, I think the situation was handled fine.”

This incident will no doubt affect a multitude of people and strike the university as a whole with grief, and sadness as authorities struggle to identify the 33 deceased victims, as well as perhaps 20 more in hospitals around the region.

“It was very unfortunate, the result of one person’s actions affecting this many people,” said Mata.

The incident at the dorm and the ensuing shootings in class rooms at Norris Hall staggered both students and university officials seeking to comprehend the scope of the carnage.

As the day progressed, more information and the idea of what had happened began to take form and settle on this routinely quiet campus in a small town in Virginia’s New River Valley.

The flag was flown at half-mast in the Upper Quad section of the campus, and a somber, stunned mood settled over the entire campus. Time seemed to stop for students, many of whom had spent the morning huddled on floors in darkened classrooms waiting for word that it was safe to evacuate campus.

In comparison to prior school shootings this incident greatly overshadows the rest in magnitude.

This school shooting marks the deadliest in United States history topping the 1999 Columbine High School incident and the 1966 University of Texas incident.

The Columbine High School incident on April 20, 1999, in Littleton, Colo., involved two student gunmen, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, who killed 12 students and a teacher and wounded 24 others.

The University of Texas incident took place on August 1, 1966, in Austin, Texas, in which Charles Joseph Whitman killed 15 people and wounded many more.

With the current numbers of fatalities reaching over 30, this incident will leave its mark as the deadliest school shooting in history and will leave a community in disbelief and utter shock.

From a friend at RU, we're thinking about you guys and we're here for all of you. I'm so deeply sorry for your loss.

Chris | April 16, 2007 7:19 PM

My deepest condolences all the way from Chicago! Thank you for the the detailed coverage of this tragity.

Laura | April 16, 2007 7:19 PM

Planet Blacksburg has been consistently ahead of the networks today for news. Well done. Our thoughts are with you today.

Tom Bridge | April 16, 2007 7:25 PM

So difficult to comprehend the mentality of someone doing such an horrific act. My heartfelt sympathy is extended to all those who have and are still suffering.
Dallas Maze, Auckland, New Zealand

Dallas Maze | April 16, 2007 7:39 PM

I cannot imagine the pain and hell your campus has been through. I am so sorry to all of the family and friends that lost someone they loved. It is a very sad day for all of us in the U.S.

Debra P-Richmond, VA | April 16, 2007 7:48 PM

I live in a town just outside of Pittsburgh, PA called Turtle Creek. I've listened to the news all day concerning the tragedy at your school.
It saddens my heart to think that there are people in this world that would willing kill innocent people but there are. You all are in our thoughts and prayers and hope that tomorrow will bring peace to your lives.

Michele | April 16, 2007 7:48 PM

The millions strong Hokie nation is crying and praying over the dark events of today. The current brothers/sisters attending our beloved institution are in our constant thoughts. Talk and cry it out together to help ease the pain.

I hope the school president is man enough to resign for failing to protect our current students. It is unconscionable that a murderer would be allowed to roam free for 2 hours without a lockdown.

Never Again!

B.S. C.S. 1976

Bill | April 16, 2007 7:56 PM

Our thoughts are with everyone on campus, from Westminster, Maryland.

Crys | April 16, 2007 8:02 PM

To all students and faculty and their families at Virginia Tech my family and I send our deepest condolences for your tragedy and loss today. I know your days ahead will be so difficult but you are in the hearts and prayers of this nation during this time of your need. From Grand Junction, Colorado we wish you well.

Cyndi Bentley | April 16, 2007 8:06 PM

From the sister of a alumna, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

MP | April 16, 2007 8:09 PM

Condolences and prayers are offered from Grand Valley State University in Grand Rapids/Allendale, MI.

This is a tragedy and could happen anywhere.

Michael Sitarz | April 16, 2007 8:19 PM

This is a tragedy and could happen anywhere.

Michael Sitarz | April 16, 2007 8:19 PM

All of us in the National Capital Region Campus mourn with you Blacksburg. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tin Northern VA | April 16, 2007 8:29 PM

I would like to send flowers for tomorrows ceremony. Please tell us where we can send those? Is there an address?

Joyce from San Francisco

joyce | April 16, 2007 8:49 PM

Greetings from Little Rock, Arkansas. I have been watching the news all day and cannot even imagine the heartache that many of you are feeling. Please take comfort in knowing that the world is praying for you . God Bless all Hokies.

Jennifer Amos Jacuzzi | April 16, 2007 8:57 PM

Praying for you!!!

BGooD | April 16, 2007 8:58 PM

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Many of us here in Martinsville,VA have watched, cried and grieved over the events of this horrible tragedy.

Class of '94.

Stephanie | April 16, 2007 9:03 PM

Iowa State University mourns the loss of those lost in today's tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with all the victims and their families. This is a heinous crime that should never happen to anyone but somehow does. God Bless the Hokies!

Ryan Lederer | April 16, 2007 9:05 PM

I am looking for my sister who might have been in the engineering bldg. Her name is Helen Lewis and she has red hair, fair skin with freckles. She won a scholarship in 2005 for mechanical engineering. Does anyone know her? Do you know if she was hurt? I live in Colorado...my heart goes out to all the victims whoever they are...Mickie Lewis Sjoberg

Mickie M Sjoberg | April 16, 2007 9:12 PM

Our thoughts and prayers go out to each student and the families that have suffered tragedy.

Stephen Webber | April 16, 2007 9:19 PM

As a part-time college instructor who has a daughter in college, I am so sorry this happened for all of you. My sincere sympathy to everyone.

Dr. C. from Chicago

Dr. K. Carroll | April 16, 2007 9:32 PM

From the University of Oregon to the family and friends of VT, you are all in our thoughts and prayers

Kel | April 16, 2007 9:39 PM

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your families during this difficult time.

Gwen and Family | April 16, 2007 9:39 PM

It's a damn shame.

s. roth | April 16, 2007 9:40 PM

The University of Missouri is mourning with you during your time of grief. The flags on our campus are at half mast and a memorial is being planned to offer our support. Stay strong and God bless.

Kevin | April 16, 2007 9:44 PM

I'm a student at the Univ of S. Fla. in Tampa, FL. We are truly sorry for your loss and the tragedy that occurred and assure you we are praying for everything there.

Linda D | April 16, 2007 9:45 PM

The thoughts and prayers of my family are with you in this time of tragedy and sorrow.

Brian Tyefisher | April 16, 2007 9:47 PM

All of us in New Zealand are thinking of you at this tragic time.

Peter Sinclair | April 16, 2007 9:51 PM

As a parent of a student at Southern Illinois University, My heart and prayers go out to the parents, students, and faculty.

Connie G | April 16, 2007 9:51 PM

I only found out about this horrific tragedy upon my return from work this afternoon. Memories of Columbine once again resurfaced, and I cannot help but draw from those memories and recount the number of times that the media and social workers covering that tragedy suggested the need for community and open discussion to aid in the healing process.
Please know the world is watching and praying for the entire V.T community, God bless.

Greg | April 16, 2007 9:52 PM

As a parent of a student at Southern Illinois University, my heart and prayers go out to the parents, students, and faculty.

Connie G | April 16, 2007 9:54 PM

My prayers are with the families, friends, students, and community.

Sanjay | April 16, 2007 9:57 PM

News of your terrible tragady has spread as far as the Caribbean! Our thought and prayers are with you, now in your darkest hours.

Sharon | April 16, 2007 9:58 PM

I only found out about this horrific tragedy upon my return from work this afternoon. Memories of Columbine immediately resurfaced, and I cannot help but draw from those memories and recount the number of times that the media and social workers covering that tragedy suggested the absolute need for open discussion and a sense of community to aid the healing process. Please know the world is with you in this moment of despair, and that we are collectively praying for peace for the entire V.T community in the weeks and months ahead. God bless.

Greg | April 16, 2007 10:00 PM

News of your terrible ordeal has spread as far as the Caribbean!We can only begin to imagine your tremendous pain. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, now in your darkest hours.

Sharon | April 16, 2007 10:01 PM

Sharon | April 16, 2007 10:01 PM

Florida State University sends our deepest condolences to all of the students and families. VT will remain in our thoughts and prayers.

Theresa | April 16, 2007 10:02 PM

I'm a Hokie froom class of '83 and my daughter is a freshman this year on the 4th floor of AJ (east side) She's a member of the MV's and was friends with Ryan that was killed at AJ this morning. Her roomate was in class in Norris this morning and we have not been able to find her yet. Please keep Lauren in your prayers.

Jay | April 16, 2007 10:02 PM

From Ontario,Canada, our thoughts and prayers go out to the parents, students, faculty and to a nation during this very difficult time. Our deepest sympathy.

Al | April 16, 2007 10:03 PM

On behalf of Marshall University alumni, our prayers are with you.

Herd Fan | April 16, 2007 10:03 PM

I am so sorry for what happened today on your campus. My heart truly hurts for everyone. I attended Syracuse University and understand what it feels like to have a school that becomes a "home away from", especially freshman year. Please know I am keeping everyone in my prayers and hope you all grow out of this situation with courage and a spirit that is stronger than ever!

Erica P | April 16, 2007 10:04 PM

Erica P | April 16, 2007 10:05 PM

My entire family in Atlanta is praying for the victims of this tragedy and their families as well as all of the students and faculty at Virginia Tech. May you all feel God's loving arms around you in this time of great pain.

Laura | April 16, 2007 10:05 PM

TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL THY HEART AND LEAN NOT TO THINE OWN UNDERSTANDING.MY DEEPEST SYMPATHY GOES OUT TO VIRGINIA TECH AND THE VICTIMS FAMILIES. MAY GOD BE WITH YOU. RICHMOND,VA

ALEXIS | April 16, 2007 10:05 PM

I wish there was more I could do to help ease the pain and agony of everyone affected by this great tragedy. My thoughts are with you.
I as a college student could not fathom this kind of loss, and once again wish I could do more to help ease the pain. Hang in there, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jenn S | April 16, 2007 10:06 PM

If guns were outlawed only outlaws would have guns - unfortunately today, guns aren't allowed on VT campus even though the vast majority are responsible adults that work and learn there.

cn.o | April 16, 2007 10:06 PM

There is no safe harbor left in this world...my sincerest sympathy to all of you who are suffering this "family tragedy". I know nothing about your school, but I know you are devastated by these events. May God (as you perceive Him) see you through this.
Bunny Murray

Bunny Murray | April 16, 2007 10:08 PM

As a student at UNLV in Las Vegas, NV, there was a universal solemn alertness on campus today. We are all feeling the ripple effects of this tragedy. Our heartfelt condolences are with the Virginia Tech University community. Not only has this has changed the landscape of educational institutions forever but the very fabric of America itself.

Susan | April 16, 2007 10:09 PM

It is my sincere hope that the 24/7 media can pause and give the students and staff of VPI & SU a moment of peace and respect. I am saddened by their attempts to sensationalize this tragic event. I know in my heart that everyone involved ... administration, staff, police, and students have gone above and beyond what any of us could even imagine. I hope everyone is patient while all the facts are exposed, and harsh words are kept at bay while truth is found. Man always wants to assign blame, to somehow momentarily ease the pain. But one important truth I have learned since graduating from Tech 30 years ago ... is this... There are times in our lives when all we can do is shed a tear and embrace our faith. Please be strong through the knowledge that you are in the prayers of thousands. To live is to survive, and to survive is to honor the memory of those that have passed.

P Truax-Blair | April 16, 2007 10:09 PM

As an Ohio State alumni, I convey my deepest sympathy at this senseless tragedy. Please know that the Buckeye nation mourns with you...Peace

Jim | April 16, 2007 10:12 PM

From all your friends here at the University of Calgary (UofC) here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada we would like to extent our deepest sympathies and our hearts go out to all the students at Virginia Tech. This was a senseless tragedy, one that should never have taken place. Remember to talk to one another, please don't let these feelings build up inside. Find someone and talk about this tragedy. You will forever have friends here in Canada, we as students thought and talked a lot today about what happened. We mourn the loss with you although we were not students there, as students we should always band together and hopefully one day we can stop violence in schools, school should be a place to learn, not to hurt. Take care of yourselves and each other and remember, if you need anything students across the world are here for you.

Nichole
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Nichole | April 16, 2007 10:12 PM

Nichole
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Nichole | April 16, 2007 10:14 PM

From the RIT community in Rochester, NY, please know that you are in our hearts and prayers

Molly Maldovan | April 16, 2007 10:21 PM

God Bless all those imapcted by this tradegy.

Jesse Lambert | April 16, 2007 10:37 PM

Where does one begin to the process of healing such a wound? Some still don't know what to mourn: the tragedy in general, or the loss of a loved one or dear friend whom they have not been able to reach and are waiting anxiously for news.

From the National Capital Area our family has the entire VT & Blacksburg community in our thoughts and prayers.

Our daughter just sent in her acceptance to attend VT this coming fall. She will still be attending. Besides the beautiful campus...and food...we were most impressed with the caliber of the students, specifically the engineering students with whom we spent most of our time: down to earth, smart, grounded, involved, and considerate.

The people are the greatest strength of VT. Best to all of you.

Sharon | April 16, 2007 10:50 PM

I grieve with you over the loss of friends and family. Tech is a wonderful place. A single individual can do much harm or much good. Pledge anew to be constructive in all things.

Joe Erwin | April 16, 2007 10:53 PM

Wishing peace, comfort and warmth to the students, families, faculty and community of Virginia Tech. May light guide you through this dark storm. The collective hearts of the world grieve with you and for you now and in the days and weeks and months to come while you heal. Hold your precious memories dear and protect your personal privacy. Call your family a lot, for no reason in particular, because they are going to be worried for a long time. May you draw the strength you will need to heal from each other. I wish I could hug you ALL! This will have to do!! {{{HUGS}}}

Ashleigh Ryan
University of Texas Austin 1988

Ashleigh Ryan | April 16, 2007 10:53 PM

Ashleigh Ryan
University of Texas Austin 1988

Ashleigh Ryan | April 16, 2007 10:54 PM

My Deepest condolences to all the VT community from all of UofM.

I hope all my friends from the VT Challenge X team are safe. I am praying for everyone.

Pavan | April 16, 2007 10:54 PM

My Deepest condolences to all the VT community from all of UofM.

Pavan | April 16, 2007 10:54 PM

From a Hokie alum now in Boston, my deepest sympathies to the families and friends of the departed and my thoughts are with the injured. I will always remember Blackburg as being where I've had some of my happiest memories in university. It is very hard to think of how tragedy of such epic proportions could happen on a campus some beautiful, serene and idyllic. From the Hokie community everywhere, our thoughts are with all of you in Blacksburg.

John P | April 16, 2007 11:15 PM

John P | April 16, 2007 11:16 PM

I am extremely shocked and hurt to know the incidents happened at VT. Having done MS from Michigan State, I understand how great a blow this is to the serene University atmosphere and to all the future leaders of the country. I sincerely appreciate the strong will being shown by the VT campus community and wish you all a speedy recovery from this traumatic incident. May God bless the souls of the victims.

Mallik Chaganti | April 16, 2007 11:25 PM

There but for the grace of God, go I.

Bless everyone of you who suffers in some way by this tragedy.

Gary | April 16, 2007 11:31 PM

How utterly tragic. Thoughts and prayers from Taiwan.

Gareth | April 17, 2007 12:02 AM

I�m sure I speak for my fellow Penn State Alumni in expressing our deepest sympathies and prayers.

Steve | April 17, 2007 12:03 AM

Words can not express the sorrow we have for those you have lost today.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to each and everyone of you from Huntington Beach, Ca.

CJ | April 17, 2007 12:19 AM

my deepest sympathy and prayers to all of the Virginia Tech students, faculty, and overall community. This is a tragedy for all of us, and I, along with all of my friends and members of the community here at the Univ. of Va, are sending all the Hokies our love and prayers...

Sarah | April 17, 2007 12:37 AM

we send are prayers and thoughts

mike | April 17, 2007 12:39 AM

My heart goes out to each and every one of you who have experienced a loss today. I cannot imagine how you feel. I pray that you find strength in the days to come and be there for one another in this horribly tragic time.

Erin H. from Alberta, Canada

Erin H. | April 17, 2007 12:39 AM

From one family in Los Angeles: we have been utterly horrified by this day's events on your campus and send you our thoughts and hopes. We are so sorry.

Michael McClure | April 17, 2007 12:41 AM

My heart breaks for your loss. The University community, the parents and loved ones of those who were so senselessly murdered. All the young people and adults who were traumatized today. What a terrible ordeal. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.
Sam Houston State University Alum Class of 1983 Huntsville, TX (now in Tulsa, OK)

Cindy | April 17, 2007 12:43 AM

From Wisconsin, we offer our deepest sympathies. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you all.

Rich | April 17, 2007 12:45 AM

As a mother of a high school sophmore, I am terrified of sending my son off to college! My heart is saddened by the actions of this person(people) and I shall continue to pray for all students and faculty, deceased and alive. The small town of Dacusville, S.C. express our deepest sympathy and prayers. Just know that this is such a trying time, but trust in God and he will get all of you through this tragedy.

Cathrine Howard | April 17, 2007 12:47 AM

My heart goes out to all of you, friends, family of those involved. Blessings and a multitude of prayers as you all try to heal from this tragedy.

Loretta S. | April 17, 2007 12:49 AM

Please accept my sincere symathy to the precious families ,that have to endure this never ending pain.The monster that did this to these babies will burn in HELL forever......... I am so very sorry......

Alyce Argabright | April 17, 2007 12:50 AM

I hope everyone will be ok, my thoughts go out to everyone there

Nathan Hannig | April 17, 2007 1:03 AM

This loss, this tragedy, the insanity of it all, nothing making sense of so much anger turning to murder and this aftermath of this turning into a day that will never be forgotten by so many. Blessings to all the family and friends surrounding this painful event in time. I am from Minnesota,and I am still in a state of anxiety and mourning, my heart goes out. As I try to to express my feelings, I am so overwhelmed all I can add now is Blessings to All!

LORETTA Marie SODERBERG | April 17, 2007 1:04 AM

God bless you all during this horrible and tragic time. Please know that this University of Dayton alum and all of the Flyer Faithful have you in our prayers.

Bill Thomas | April 17, 2007 1:09 AM

I'm sorry so many ppl. died., but ever stop to think why this happened? The shooter was Asain and his victims were White,hmmmmmmm.White people have done so much wrong to so many people, I just thank God he didn't take more lives. Wake up White People and ask for forgivness for all the wrong yov've done. I will pray for you all just the same. Turn from your wicked ways white America.

Carla cole | April 17, 2007 1:28 AM

A student in California, my heart and thoughts go to you. You can lean on us, for we are all together - as students, as Americans, as innocent souls.

Summer Johnson, CA | April 17, 2007 1:29 AM

As a Hokie alum, I live in disbelief and horror. I hope this doesn't tarnish the schools name. It's a freakish incident that could have happened anywhere. VT is as safe as any campus, probably safer now. If someone asked if I'd consider returning to VT as a student, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. I'm there.

And it goes without saying, but I'll say it just the same - Carla (2 posts prior) - absolutely ridiculous comments especially at such a time. Perhaps it'd be in your best interest to hold your tongue until all the facts are in. But something tells me it would just be better for you to hold tongue. Period.

Dana from Richmond, VA | April 17, 2007 2:18 AM

Whoever wrote that ridiculous racist comment (Carla Code) you are the racist moron. There is no reason for shooting innocent people....ever!

Debbie | April 17, 2007 2:21 AM

My sympathies to all the Hokies across the nation affected by today's events. Without regard to race, creed, or sex, this horrific event is felt by us all.

Dana from Richmond, VA | April 17, 2007 2:22 AM

My heart goes out to all the people at this University. Eversince I have heard of the Tragedy, I have followed it and it breaks my heart to hear about the 30+ people who have died at the hands of this person responsible. Life is not all about love....It's all about making the best of it whilst you have the time here.
My heart weeps for the families of the victims who have died.
May GOD bless each and every single person in Blacksburg, Virginia!!!!

Marama, NEW ZEALAND | April 17, 2007 2:48 AM

With all of the senseless acts of violence that you can download on YouTube or other websites of people getting beaten, and these videos that are shown on the nightly news, its sickening that todays youth sees life as a quick game of KillZone. As a student of Radford and with a family full of Hokies, I'm honestly scared. I looked at my fellow students today and wondered if any of them would shoot me, or my husband, or my friends, and that's not right. A campus is your HOME and my heart bleeds for the victims at Tech. These people woke up on Monday thinking of their girlfriends and boyfriends and tests and what they wanted to eat for lunch. I'm just sick and sad and heartbroken about it all. Everyone who had a loss-we are all sorry and love you all.

murphy | April 17, 2007 3:11 AM

Your all in our prayers in Amarillo Texas as this horrible tradgedy will remain in our memories forever.

Mike | April 17, 2007 3:30 AM

I am so sorry that you can't find your sister..I am also looking for someone..Julia Pryde..Please help us..If you know where she is help us please

Shauna | April 17, 2007 4:53 AM

I feel absolutely shocked and wish you and your parents all the best.

student teacher, Germany

Diego | April 17, 2007 5:21 AM

From Connecticut, all of our prayers, thoughts, and heartaches are with each of you connected to V'Tech in any way. May God watch over you all...always. God bless you all. Rob K.

Robert | April 17, 2007 5:32 AM

Pepperdine University sends our deepest condolences to all of the VTech students and families. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Lorie | April 17, 2007 6:16 AM

Thanks National Rifle Association...

I can see how making it easier for people to own a gun makes sense...

Henry Fortuna | April 17, 2007 6:31 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with you all. As a college student in Edmonton, Alberta it is more than scary to see yet another of these horrific events.

God be with you all

Tamara | April 17, 2007 6:33 AM

Carla Cole: The first to die was an innocent Black Senior. This NOT a good to hang your racism out!

Tom | April 17, 2007 6:36 AM

We here in Japan are stunned and saddened by your horrific loss. Our thoughts are with you.
Jack

jack | April 17, 2007 6:36 AM

My deepest sympathies and condolences to the students and families.

matnikon | April 17, 2007 7:36 AM

My father-in-law, husband and daughter all went to Va Tech. Everyone knows someone who has attended this great university! I grieve for the families of the victims and grieve for the university itself.

Sharon LaVier | April 17, 2007 7:49 AM

I am so sorry that you all had to go threw this sensless act of cruelty. My thought s and prayers are with you and everyone on campus. I know that the days ahead will be hard for you all but remeber to keep God in your life and all will be well. Again, my prayers are with you!

Kim | April 17, 2007 8:12 AM

I am so so sorry that everyone at the beautiful VT Campus has to go through this!! I graduated in 1990 and love VT. My deepest sympathies go out to everyone

Lauren Barkley Jacobs | April 17, 2007 8:46 AM

Its all already been said. Unbelieveable Hold on to all who survived.
from Anderson Indiana

Susan Brooks | April 17, 2007 8:52 AM

your in our prayers.

millbrook high school
Winchester, Virginia

lauren | April 17, 2007 9:04 AM

My family here in Maine can not believe what has happened here in the USA. It's seems like things just keep getting worse and worse and they happen everywhere! Our prayers and thoughts go out to all of you that have to deal with this... stay strong.
XoXoJusteenXoXo

Justeen | April 17, 2007 9:09 AM

I just wanted Virginia Tech to know that they are in the hearts of so many. My daughter is a former Hokie and loves that school. She actually lived in Johnston Hall on the 4th floor her first year.

I can only imagine what the parents, family and loved ones are going through.

Just know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

JoAnne Watkins | April 17, 2007 10:02 AM

what is happening to this world ? In a world of global communication, some people seem to only be able to use violence to express themselves. I am sad and I am at a loss to understand why people don't seem to learn from history at all.

susanne sinclair | April 17, 2007 10:26 AM

I was following the story all day, but my husband hadn't heard about it until we had a moment of silence at the Red's game last night. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you from all of Cincinnati!

Jamie | April 17, 2007 10:50 AM

I'm very shocked that things like that still happen. After so many High-School-Massacers, compared to other countries, one should assume that risen security-standards should add to prevention. To me it is not understandable, that Mr. Bush still holds on to those loose gun-restrictions. I see a clear parallel to the possibility of buying guns as easy as a package of cigarettes and High-School-Shootings. Of course there has been one comparable shooting here in Germany a few years ago, but it is characterized as something unique, something that is not happening that quickly again. I hope this can be said about America, too. It is a tragedy and I am very sorry for all people envolved.

Gerrit from Berlin, Germany | April 17, 2007 10:59 AM

G'day, really shitty what eent on - hope you are all okay and condolences to all those who were affected. Peace...

Paul | April 17, 2007 11:29 AM

I dont even know how to say how deeply sorry I am for the entir Blacksburg community. I also live in semi-small college town and cannot imagine something like this could happen. Just wanted to let the VT community that Michiganders are thinking of you all...and to keep your heads up even during this very difficult time.

Eric | April 17, 2007 11:41 AM

Our thoughts and prayers are with you here in Vancouver, WA.

Colleen | April 17, 2007 11:48 AM

As for the piece of crap who commented on white America a while back. You are doing more damage than good. To blame a community.....what if white America blamed Asian America for yesterday.....DUMB ASS!

Eric | April 17, 2007 11:49 AM

As a '95 Civil Engineering graduate from Georgia Tech - my thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by this tragedy. As if the loss of life isn't enough to endure - how sad to lose the knowledge and future personal/ professional contributions all of these young people and experienced staff members will now never be able to offer the world. It is truly a loss for all of us.

Kim | April 17, 2007 12:08 PM

Kim | April 17, 2007 12:08 PM

May God's blessings be upon the deceased, the injured and all members of VT families. You are remembered, as you can see, all across the world Let there be no more violence.Friends in Tennessee

David | April 17, 2007 12:18 PM

I have a son in Iraq and a daughter at Capital University in Ohio. I daily fret about a call telling me my son is hurt, or worse. I would never expect to get that call for my daughter. My prayers now include all the VT families and friends as they try to survive the shock.

And to those who post racist rantings, please, remember our soldiers are fighting for freedom, including our right for free speech. So, say what you will, but put your thinking cap on first.

Anna | April 17, 2007 12:35 PM

Anna | April 17, 2007 12:38 PM

The Heart of the Aggie community and all of Texas A&M University goes out to everyone touched by this horrible incident.

Aggie | April 17, 2007 2:32 PM

to Carla Cole who posted at 1:28 a.m.; and Steven Mother F...... Lee who posted at 8:52 a.m. Your comments surely sadden those who have lost loved ones. Neither of you have your facts. You're better off keeping your mouth closed (or in this case:away from the computer), rather than showing your ignorance. Read Matthew 7:1- "Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, critize their faults - unless, of course you want the same treatment. I's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Wipe the ugly sneer of your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor." Pray for direction, and steer yourself away from unkind words and words of racism. The people on this planet don't need for the two of you to ignite nor incite.

CJ | April 17, 2007 2:50 PM

I can't believe such a thing has happened, all know that each and everyone of you are thought of right now from a little town in Scotland called Paisley, aswell as the rest of the world. Our hearts and prayers go out to you and your families. God Bless. Louise

Louise | April 17, 2007 4:18 PM

Bless you Virginia Tech. My heart is with you all today. head up high and stay strong, don't let this horrendous incident faze you. You are all strong and you will make it with this sad time. The victims are now in a better place in the heavens above. Thinking of you in London x

Sanaa | April 17, 2007 4:34 PM

Hello my name is Ady from England. I send my deepest sympathy for the families and friends of the victims in this terrible tragedy, no country is immune from these terrible crimes with the use of guns including my own. But these crimes seem to get worse as time goes by rather than getting better. i urge you as a nation to stand together in memory of the victims and force Bush to change the gun laws. I know this wont stop gun crime but we must try do all we can to get rid of as many guns as possible,guns should only be for the military!! our thoughts are with you.

ady | April 17, 2007 4:36 PM

my thoughts are with the virginia tech community and familiy and friends of the victims. none of you deserved this. i am a college student myself, and i feel the shock of this terrible terrible tragedy. may you all find the strenght to pull through this.

ss | April 17, 2007 5:38 PM

Such a horrifying tragedy.
My heartfelt condolances to the victims' families and friends and the students of Virginia Tech.
I hope the young generation who have witnessed this tragedy from the US and abroad will think about the consequence before holding any weapons.

Rajan | April 17, 2007 5:53 PM

From a nation that experienced its own heartache with the school shooting in Dunblane, just know that we Scots stand shoulder to shoulder with you in grief.

Le moran baigh (With deepest sympathy)

Elaine, Edinburgh, Scotland | April 17, 2007 6:57 PM

It saddens me to find racists posts on here. This was a horrific crime against the student body and faculty of VA Tech, with no malice directed towards anyone of a particular race.

I live minutes from Blacksburg and I am honestly proud of all efforts made by all of those involved to help themselves and others in the face of these circumstances. These students and faculty have both impressed me and made me proud....and will continue to do so as the healing process continues.

Please rethink racist comments as there are a diverse group of people affected by this tragedy.

Tammy, Christiansburg,VA | April 17, 2007 8:12 PM

From Toronto, Canada our deepest sympathies. Our prayers are with you all who are here or in heaven...

Peter | April 17, 2007 8:21 PM

Everyone I have talked to has had the same feeling of unbelief. Know that all of Vtechs students, families, and faculty are in our thoughts and prayers. It is inconceivable that something like this could happen. We pray for strength for all of you, and that memories of better times may pull you through this dark, senseless act, and help you to find healing in the good people around you, and throughout the world.
Wichita, Kansas

Vicky | April 17, 2007 8:51 PM

I was born in Radford and lived a lot of my youth in Blacksburg. We have a great town and many wonderful people. I look forward to returning this summer. I am of course horrified by what happened. How could anyone have known what Cho was planning? Why did he go to Norris? Did he have classes there? How much training does it take to shoot 50+ people? Where did he learn? Lots of questions...It is silly to call for resignations of officials. No one has developed their pyschic powers to the point of being readers of criminal minds. We're not living in the Minority Report movie. Should students carry guns? How do you like the concept of the Armed Student? This whole thing makes me sick...I wish my hometown wasn't going to be known for this for all time now...Love to all from a former "'Burger", and all my condolences to those who have lost loved ones. JS

jim | April 17, 2007 9:33 PM

On behalf of the student body and the entire campus community at the University of Minnesota . . . we wish you peace and healing. This is a tragedy of monumental proportions, and all 80,000 of us are thinking about you.

University of Minnesota Students | April 17, 2007 9:47 PM

To all those that have been so tragically affected by this senseless act may there be an angle that that will come down and help you through these tough times. My deepest sympathy to you all.

Dave South Africa.

Dave | April 18, 2007 9:56 AM

Although a number of you have questions as to how and what happened, and your university's response to it, you guys at VTU are simply amazing in how well you've all handled yourselves during this tragic time. My deepest condolences to all the classmates, friends and families of the departed and best wishes to those recovering from their wounds. We all mourn with you. All of us.

New Englander | April 18, 2007 11:46 AM

As a graduate from Radford U and a frequent "weekend" visitor of Virginia Tech...my deepest condolences.

Dwayne | May 1, 2007 3:20 PM

According to my analysis, thousands of persons on our planet get the lowest-rate-loans.com at good banks. Thus, there is good possibilities to find a college loan in every country.

UnderwoodTisha25 | June 11, 2010 8:32 PM

This is perfect that we are able to receive the loan and it opens completely new chances.

mortgage loans | November 26, 2010 2:08 PM