University Sends Out Official Update: Gunman Identified, Classes Cancelled

April 17, 2007

As updates come in we will continue to update the site. Below is the official university update on the situation.

Shooter’s Identity Confirmed

The Virginia Tech Police Department has confirmed the identification of the gunman responsible for the multiple fatalities at Norris Hall on the Virginia Tech campus Monday. Ballistics match at both crime scenes.

The individual has been identified as Cho Seung-Hui, 23. Cho was enrolled as an undergraduate student in his senior year as an English major at Virginia Tech. Cho, a South Korean native, was in the U.S. as a resident alien with a residence established in Centerville, Va.

Classes are canceled for the remainder of the week to allow students to mourn and begin healing. Campus will reopen Wednesday for administrative operations.

Norris Hall has been closed for the remainder of the semester.

Classes Cancelled

Virginia Tech continues to mourn the loss of 33 members of our community. As we move forward, we share the following information:

Virginia Tech will cancel all classes for the remainder of the week to allow students the time they need to grieve and seek assistance as needed. The university will re-open administrative operations beginning tomorrow, Wednesday, April 18, understanding that some faculty and staff may wish to take additional time off this week to grieve the loss of fellow colleagues and friends. We ask individual employees to communicate with their supervisors of their schedules for the balance of the week.

We will close Norris Hall for the remainder of the semester. Staff are currently working to arrange alternative location for classrooms and faculty offices.

Counseling and other resources are available for students, faculty, and staff. Students may receive counseling at McComas Hall and counselors will be available for extended hours. Counselors will also be available in West Amber Johnston for residents.

Employees may receive needed support by going to the Brush Mountain Room in Squires Student Center throughout the day.

The university will be holding a convocation ceremony at 2 p.m. at Cassell Coliseum. This will be the first time the Virginia Tech community will come together since the tragedy to share our collective sorrow. At that time, President George Bush, First Lady Laura Bush, Gov. Timothy Kaine, Mrs. Kaine members of our Board of Visitors, members of the clergy, our students, and poet Nikki Giovanni will share messages of condolence to the family and friends of the victims and words of hope to all of us as we move forward past this tragedy.

Again we encourage all members of the Virginia Tech community to attend. Should the coliseum be full, the event will be broadcast on campus cable stations.

The Virginia Tech community, and the world at large, continues to struggle with these horrible events. We hope these steps will help in that healing process.

As a CS graduate alumni from the 80's, I truly mourn the loss of lives and my thoughts are with the families of the victims.

Suresh Kumar | April 17, 2007 10:23 AM

We are so sorry about what has happened to your community. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you that you will find healing and peace.

Sherry Blakley | April 17, 2007 10:27 AM

Having spent my youth in Virginia and as a graduate of JMU, I am deeply moved by these tragic events. My thoughts and prayers are with the families and students of Virginia Tech and the residents of Blacksburg. God Bless you all.

Bill Ogg | April 17, 2007 10:37 AM

I live in Richmond, VA and wanted to convey my sympathy and support to the Virginia Tech community.

Beth McDonald | April 17, 2007 10:40 AM

So sorry to hear about this - we'd just finished a presentation to some of your virginia tech students who wanted to work at Workfresh software a week ago. Keep strong.

workfresh | April 17, 2007 10:47 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.People here in Ireland, mourn your loss and join in the prayers for the victims,the injured and those in mourning.We commend their souls to a Merciful Father.God Bless

Robert | April 17, 2007 10:48 AM

Does anyone know this guy? Can guess why he did it?

Steven Sandler | April 17, 2007 10:54 AM

This is strangely resembling similar cases in germany lately... such things should not happen. I am really sorry for those who`ve had their lives seriously impacted or taken - everyone at v-tech please stay strong and help your fellow students. blessya all.

german_ibmmer | April 17, 2007 10:56 AM

We were horrified to hear about this tragedy. We are truly sorry for the losses you have all endured. All our sympathy and love,
Tyrie Family

Ashleigh - Belfast | April 17, 2007 10:58 AM

In Canada, we are all truly sorry for this devastating event. Our sympathy and love to the families, friends, and the community itself. We are mourning with you all.

Miranda | April 17, 2007 11:04 AM

As Hokie alum parents, we send our prayers for the families and friends. We give thanks for the courage and character of those many who have been interviewed in the press. God is with you.

pam thornton | April 17, 2007 11:16 AM

Just for a little tid bit of information the suicide rate in korea is an average of 30% and rising...

Al | April 17, 2007 11:17 AM

My son was lucky, I grieve for those not so. Please do not knee-jerk react over this. We all are part of the human race.
We must pull together and find a way past this. Together we live, divided we fall.

Chris | April 17, 2007 11:17 AM

God confort the parents, friends of the young people taken away like this. Please ban guns in this country! Guns is not like other weapon, it is too deadly and easy to comeby in this country, this adds the sure existence of mad man can cause too much damage, again and again.

aChinese in America | April 17, 2007 11:18 AM

Thank you Suresh, for your reporting...

Sadly, as we stated following the Montreal Dawson 'incident', as this era 'progresses', therefore, as the minds/psyches of the general population (especially our youth) becomes more and more disturbed, we must 'brace ourselves' and prepare/expect to see more and more of these devastating 'events'.

Courage, Godspeed and our most heartfelt condolences to everyone...

Prof. R. H. Seguin | April 17, 2007 11:19 AM

a Chinese in America | April 17, 2007 11:19 AM

i would just like to say how upset i was too hear the news of this awful tradagy this morning and im sure i can speak on behalf of england when i say our thoughts are with you

steven lee from manchester england | April 17, 2007 11:33 AM

It's time to rally for gun control in the good old US of A. You can pray to a make believe God all you want to, but legislation will save the day in the end. See things as they are, and speak out against the poliferation of fire arms, and maybe, just maybe, similar incidents can be deterred. All the best, as it's time for healing now.

James Snow | April 17, 2007 11:33 AM

James Snow | April 17, 2007 11:34 AM

May God be with everyone who was touched by this. Yall are in my prayers. God bless yall and stay strong.

Jennifer LA TECH | April 17, 2007 11:35 AM

Jennifer LA TECH | April 17, 2007 11:35 AM

32/33 is too many , for me 1 is .
Is not the time to ban guns in USA ?
Peace !

T.K.Saha | April 17, 2007 11:46 AM

Everyone is in my prayers. I do not know what I would have done in a situation like this. It is a devastating time. God Bless!

Sidni - Oklahoma | April 17, 2007 11:47 AM

I was shocked and hurt and totally dumbfounded to see what one individual can do to a community. It is so heart-breaking that my words do not know how to form. I am so sorry that the students had to go through a terrible tragedy as this one. The loss is unexplanable and senseless.
I will continue to remember all of you in my prayers, the victims, the injured, the friends, the students, the families, the faculty & for the community. May your healing be of some comfort and know that God does love each and everyone of you and will help your through this ordeal.
All of my best for healing and peace and comfort.

Lisa - Northwood, Ohio | April 17, 2007 11:50 AM

All of my best for healing and peace and comfort.

Lisa - Northwood, Ohio | April 17, 2007 11:50 AM

May God bless the victims and families of this horrible tragey. I ask God to give each and every person envolved the strength to cope with un-comprehendable crime.

Buck | April 17, 2007 11:56 AM

Buck Holloway | April 17, 2007 11:57 AM

I am so very sorry this had to happen. I, too, have lost a child, but not in this manner. I am praying for all of the parents/relatives. God bless all of you.

Emilie Gochnauer | April 17, 2007 11:57 AM

Such a waste. From France, my condolences. :-(

Des Coughlan | April 17, 2007 12:03 PM

A plague of violence has come upon this age. We pray God will bless and comfort everyone that was hurt by this monster and protect them.

Stan | April 17, 2007 12:08 PM

Pray hard. Philippians 4:13 says, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." You will get through this pain 1Corinthians 4:13 tells us, "And now these three remain:faith, hope and love. But the greatest gift is love." You will rise above this tragedy and remember the good in those you love. Grace and Peace be with you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. He is our refuge.

CJ | April 17, 2007 12:09 PM

my prayers are with you all.

jessica | April 17, 2007 12:13 PM

Dear staff of Planet Blacksburg and students at Virginia Tech,
I am the senior editor of Orato Media Corporation, a citizen journalism site based in Vancouver, Canada. I wish to send our heartfelt condolences at this terrible time. Luckily tragedy also brings out the most beautiful things in people, as you all come together in support.

I am also writing to request an article written in the first-person about what you witnessed yesterday. When I was in 8th grade, a student in my class killed his parents and then himself. As a writer, I felt compelled to put it to paper. For those of you who feel there is therapeutic value in writing out your feelings, or, for those who simply feel it's important to provide an eyewitness account of this event,please submit your piece to heather@orato.com. Orato.com is news from the people who live it.

Sincerely,
Heather Wallace
senior editor
Orato Media Corp.

Heather Wallace | April 17, 2007 12:14 PM

my prayers are all with you at this time

paula | April 17, 2007 12:14 PM

Dear staff of Planet Blacksburg and students at Virginia Tech,

Sincerely,
Heather Wallace
senior editor
Orato Media Corp.

Heather Wallace | April 17, 2007 12:15 PM

As a Tennessee resident and graduate of that university system I and my family mourn with you. We are all HOAKIES today! Let us pray with the assurance that this evil will be overcome with GOOD.

kenneth webster | April 17, 2007 12:31 PM

去承受人间的苦难;
有新河水鳎?br />VIRGINIA TECH就永远是
科学的园地.
知识的摇篮.
希望的发祥地!

兰岭山不屈服 | April 17, 2007 12:40 PM

I just would like to say it is totally CRAZY what one person can do. It is very scary that there are many more manics in the world. He got off easy here on earth by killing himself. He did not even have the guts to just take himself out, NO he had to be selfish and take lives of innocent people. Why??? In the end of all this madness, that shooter will pay and pay big. I will keep every one involved in this horrible crime in my Prayers. Remember that life is fragile, handle with PRAYER.

Ebony, saint louis Mo | April 17, 2007 12:42 PM

Ebony, saint louis Mo | April 17, 2007 12:43 PM

Ebony, saint louis Mo | April 17, 2007 12:44 PM

Ebony, saint louis Mo | April 17, 2007 12:45 PM

As a 1977 Engineering alum, I want to express my grief and support for all currrent students, faculty, families and alumni around the world. I also want to thank the responders who will have to live with what they saw.

My hope is that Virginia Tech not be tarnished by this, but rather becomes known around the world as a strong, vibrant, and honorable university that continues to prosper. The last thing we want is to forever hear "Oh, Virginia Tech - that's where...." It is our obligation, as members of the Hokie family, to lead our school beyond this tragedy.

Matt Harrison | April 17, 2007 12:46 PM

I can't believe how terrible this is and my prayers are with the families of those killed.

Ted | April 17, 2007 12:50 PM

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."(Sir Isaac Newton; Principia Mathematica; circa. 1687).

"For whatever a man sows, that he will also reap."(Galatians: 6.2)

Just a question, a pondering: Those anyone, out-there, think/believe that there might be a link with the innocents we kill/slaughter to eat and wear; and the innocent students, fac and/or staff killed/slaughtered yesterday?

Please, if anyone can make sense of it all, please post here or whatever...

RGD | April 17, 2007 12:55 PM

"For whatever a man sows, that he will also reap."(Galatians: 6.2)

Please, if anyone can make sense of it all, please post here or whatever...

RGD | April 17, 2007 12:55 PM

"For whatever a man sows, that he will also reap."(Galatians: 6.2)

Please, if anyone can make sense of it all, please post here or whatever...

RGD | April 17, 2007 12:56 PM

Be strong and tender with each other in these dark hours. And know that as the world watches,it grieves alongside you. With sympathy and support from Ottawa, Canada.

ekf | April 17, 2007 1:03 PM

Why does it take a heinous crime such as this for our society to want to come together as one. The only consolation in all of this is to see that our fellow Americans do feel the pain of a senseless act and can express and show human kindness.

I am not connected in any way with your university, but I am connected to your pain. My heart goes out to all the victims and their families. Their pain is unfathomable. May your inner strength prevail.

Donna G | April 17, 2007 1:03 PM

Donna G | April 17, 2007 1:04 PM

Donna G | April 17, 2007 1:06 PM

I am sickened and heartbroken over this immense tragedy. My heart goes out to all of the victims and their families.

I truly hope that this random act of horror from this mentally disturbed person will not be a catalyst for retaliatory hate crimes against Asian Americans, similar to what happened to the Muslim community after the 9/11 attacks.

Native BBurg Korean | April 17, 2007 1:19 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with The Famlies and Friends and Students of Virginia Tech. God Bless You All.

Donald Eastman | April 17, 2007 1:22 PM

As a University of Louisville football fan I was able to meet many of the nice VA.Tech fans at the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville a couple of years ago. Even though Louisville lost the game most of the Hokie fans were great. I believe I can speak for all of the fans here at U of L, that we share your sorrow and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

University of Louisville Fan | April 17, 2007 1:31 PM

As a parent of a Virginia Tech senior, I extend my deepest sympathies to the Tech community, parents, students and faculty. I can't even begin to comprehend the severity of the loss that has occurred. I've been to Tech many, many times and am struck by its beautiful campus and scenery. I can't imagine something like this happening in such an environment. I am just horrified.

Latha Kumar | April 17, 2007 1:32 PM

God be with students, staff and families as you pull together to walk through this unbelievable and monumental crisis. Words are not adequate to convey our country's heartfelt grief and concern for each of you. Our prayers will continue to abound to send strength and determination your way.

From Texas,

Lynn in Round Rock

Lynn | April 17, 2007 1:37 PM

My heartfelt condolences, thoughts and prayers are with the students, faculty, staff, family, and friends of Va Tech in this time of grief and shock.

As in similar cases, there will be too few answers and all too many Monday morning quarterbacks with perfect hindsight who will point out the people to blame. The college leaders and police will be blamed for not doing something to prevent it. The NRA and gun owners will be blamed for promoting gun ownership. The manufacturer(s) of the guns used in the crime will be blamed for producing the guns. Some will even blame God. ... And the list goes on.

This event should prompt improvements in security and emergency notifications on campus. But even if the campus had been locked down by 8:00am on Monday, the madman would have been able to find other locations on or off campus for his rampage.

Let's not be too quick to lay blame on anyone but Mr. Seung-Hui. Let's instead spend this time on comforting those in pain, and on returning life to some semblence of normalcy.

Life will go on with a horrible memory of what happened yesterday, but it will go on.

Again, my thoughts are with you all. I wish you all the best of luck, and all the strength you need to deal with what happened.

The Va Tech folks have an opportunity to provide the nation with an example of how to respond in a thoughtful and responsible manner to such a horrible tragedy. Grace, dignity, and educated maturity should be what people remember of the Hokie's reaction in the days to come. Remember: "Ut Prosim".

Rich H | April 17, 2007 1:38 PM

Here is a translation of the Chinese above from Babelfish:
Hasn't the blue range mountain, then suddenly changed why to the late autumn red? Does the new river water, why already cross severe winter actually such ice-cold? The black fort, your this knowledge cradle, the beautiful campus, why does a short period of time become murderer's massacring city? VIRGINIA TECH, you this rational fortress, does the scientific position, why in one day let the non- rationality assume ominously? More than 30 lives, more than 30 future families, more than 30 parents' hopes, such in a hurry has gone, follows is the evil sound of gunfire! The black fort, does you this beautiful young girl, how pass through this to rend the whole body to create the pain! The blue range mountain gently walks, picks up the cut and bruised black fort; The new river water slowly is flowing, wound cleaning which bleeds; The VIRGINIA TECH worthy sons and daughters, dry the tear, gets hold of the fist, roars your roaring! Opens wide the mind, sends to your love to the victim! Has the blue range mountain in, the black fort forever has the shoulder which may rely on to withstand the world the misery; Has the new river water sole? Br/VIRGINIA TECH forever is the scientific field Knowledge cradle Hope birthplace!

Van | April 17, 2007 1:39 PM

Will students, faculty, staff have really their own services during which to grieve as an entire body, without such political interference, as this afternoon?

More than on some occasion like I suggest should be called for, there should or can be
open forum. Students especially should feel fully welcome to contribute this spontaneously during short breaks between speakers this afternoon, regardless who is on stage or behind a lectern. The press conference on their behalf this morning was totally insufficient to answer their questions, our questions, this morning.

No outrage or expression thereof is sufficient to confront the cover-up I have seen before my very eyes these past 24 hours.

David S from Houston | April 17, 2007 1:43 PM

My thoughts are with all affected by what happened at Va Tech. It is natural to feel anger and to want revenge, but only compassion will give you real peace. May you all find it in your hearts and in each other.

May Terry | April 17, 2007 1:47 PM

My deepest condolences for the tragedy that happened yesterday.

I pray that the university will not demand someone other than the shooter take the blame for what happened. This was a scenario without precedent. It was heart-warming to hear several students being interviewed last night on CNN who refused to take the reporter's bait and blame the administration. Yes, let's learn what we can and improve where we can. But let's not have a witch hunt to add more damage on top of this unspeakable tragedy.

Alan | April 17, 2007 1:48 PM

Very sorry to hear about your terrible tradgedy.From Dermot & Angela ,Mullingar,Ireland

Dermot & angela | April 17, 2007 1:48 PM

Dermot & angela | April 17, 2007 1:50 PM

to RGD. Mankind slaughters many animals for food. Mankind kills innocent people for?????? YOU tell me. There is a huge difference. We as people can stop the slaughter of animals by not eating or wearing them anymore, but how do you stop the insane????YOU tell me. The two should never be compared again in your life. My heart goes out to everyone in the blacksburg community. Please keep the faith. Put all your worries on God shoulders, and trust that all will be well.

Worried | April 17, 2007 1:55 PM

My condolensces and prayers are with the people who suffered such a horrible experience yesterday. May God be with you and comfort you during this time!

Van, thanks for the translation of the post in Chinese. Babelfish is always shaky ;-), but that poem speaks to the soul.

Hannah | April 17, 2007 1:55 PM

I am a student at a london university and I am in total shock over the shootings. I have been watching the coverage on CNN since last night and I wish to offer my condolensces to all the families who have lost their loved ones and to the students and staff of virginia tech who have suffered such great loss and trauma. I am sure the rest of the UK feels the same. I will constantly be thinking of the brave people of Virginia.

ranbir kaur | April 17, 2007 2:14 PM

ranbir kaur | April 17, 2007 2:15 PM

My thoughts are with all of you.
Stay strong.

soha - san francisco | April 17, 2007 2:21 PM

My thoughts are with all of you.
Stay strong.

soha - san francisco | April 17, 2007 2:22 PM

Althougg nothing like this has happened in Nebraska, we all still feel your pain.

Stay strong, it can only get better from here.

Tyler Young | April 17, 2007 2:30 PM

Please, not! That's my thought when I heard of the tragic, meaningless killings yesterday. Now I am grabbing a more terrible story that the shooter and I were born in the same country, S. Korea. Whatever the cause, I feel deeply guilty and shameful. I will pray for the victims and their families. I am sorry..

eui kim | April 17, 2007 2:37 PM

eui kim | April 17, 2007 2:37 PM

eui kim | April 17, 2007 2:38 PM

BUSH AND GUNS
Is he really sorry?

From: http://pearlyabraham.tripod.com/htmls/myth-bush.html

* Bush sides with the NRA and against law enforcement on every major gun safety measure including closing the gun show loophole, concealed weapons, and mandatory child safety locks.

* Concealed Weapons :
Bush Signed NRA-backed Concealed Gun Bill. In 1995, Bush signed an NRA-backed bill to allow private citizens to carry concealed handguns in Texas, ending a 125-year ban on concealed weapons.
[ Dallas Morning News, 5/27/95; Oil and Gas Journal, 6/19/95 ]

* Bush Signed Bill Allowing Guns In Churches :
In 1997, Bush signed a bill that allowed Texans to bring their guns into churches and synagogues unless a sign specifically barred them from doing so.
[ Texas HB2909, 75th Legislature, www.capitol.state.tx.us; Legislative History, Texas HB2909, 75th Legislature, www.capitol.state.tx.us ]

* Bush Failed to Enforce Existing Guns Laws in TX :
Did Not Prosecute Felons Who Illegally Possessed Guns. The Houston Chronicle reported that under Bush�s watch, Texas authorities knew of more than 600 convicted felons who may have illegally possessed firearms, but the state did nothing to prosecute these felons.
[ Houston Chronicle , 12/9/99 ]

* Gun Shows :
Bush Bowed to NRA, Failed to Lead on Background Checks Legislation . Bush claimed to support background check requirements for unlicenced dealers at gun shows, but declined to assist the passage of a state bill on that very issue. Bush claimed the federal government should solve the gun show problem, but only endorsed an NRA-supported, loophole-filled amendment.
[ Houston Chronicle, 4/27/99; Fort Worth Star-Telegram, 5/22/99 ]

* Texas Leads the Nation in Number of Guns Shows.
Under Bush, Texas offered convicted felons more opportunities to purchase guns than any other state in the country through a loophole that allows people to purchase guns at gun shows with no background check. Texas led the country with 472 gun shows in 1998 -- 222 more shows than the state in second place. San Antonio police testified that 20 percent of guns convicted felons and juveniles used to commit crimes in Texas in 1998 were purchased at gun shows.
[ San Antonio Express-News, 3/18/99, 4/14/99; South Bend Tribune, 2/18/99 ]

* Child Safety :
Bush Opposes Mandatory Child Safety Locks. Bush opposes mandatory gun safety locks -- instead he thinks the locks should still be voluntary.
[ Christian Science Monitor, 5/13/99 ]

* Texas Received "D" in Protecting Kids from Guns.
Texas received a "D" -- the sixth worst grade in the nation -- from Handgun Control, Inc. for failing to pass laws to protect kids from guns. The national gun-control group cited Texas?failure to prohibit juveniles from owning handguns, as well as the state�s prohibition of municipal laws that are stricter than state law.
[ Houston Chronicle, 9/15/98 ]

* Special Rights for Gun Makers :
Bush Signed NRA-Backed Bill Giving Gun Manufacturers Special Rights. In 1999, Bush signed legislation -- called the "gun lobby�s top priority" -- that gives gun makers special protection from being held liable for the design and marketing of their products.
[ New York Times, 6/20/99; Associated Press, 5/19/99; Fort Worth Star-Telegram, 5/18/99 ]

* Texas Supplies Guns for Out-of-State Crimes :
Texas Is a Major Out-of-State Supplier of Guns to Criminals. In 1998, federal agents traced 1,176 guns used in crimes outside of Texas to Texas gun dealers. In fact, Texas ranked fifth among out-of-state gun suppliers to criminals for weapons that could be traced; guns sold through the gun show loophole were not counted in this survey.
[ Houston Chronicle, 6/13/99 ]

John | April 17, 2007 2:49 PM

BUSH AND GUNS
Is he really sorry?

From: http://pearlyabraham.tripod.com/htmls/myth-bush.html

* Concealed Weapons :
[ Dallas Morning News, 5/27/95; Oil and Gas Journal, 6/19/95 ]

* Bush Signed Bill Allowing Guns In Churches :

* Bush Failed to Enforce Existing Guns Laws in TX :
[ Houston Chronicle , 12/9/99 ]

* Gun Shows :
[ Houston Chronicle, 4/27/99; Fort Worth Star-Telegram, 5/22/99 ]

* Texas Leads the Nation in Number of Guns Shows.
[ San Antonio Express-News, 3/18/99, 4/14/99; South Bend Tribune, 2/18/99 ]

* Child Safety :
[ Christian Science Monitor, 5/13/99 ]

* Texas Received "D" in Protecting Kids from Guns.
[ Houston Chronicle, 9/15/98 ]

* Special Rights for Gun Makers :

* Texas Supplies Guns for Out-of-State Crimes :
[ Houston Chronicle, 6/13/99 ]

John | April 17, 2007 2:50 PM

I regret what occurred. That being said, please note that The Police DID NOT protect you. Your Government DID NOT protect you.

Now, they are calling to take your gun rights away. I say Chance or NO Chance.

Murders/Criminals will ALWAYS have weapons (I say weapons because ANYTHING can be used to kill). I'd rather have my Guns and the CHANCE I'll have them if I ever need them. Better then NO CHANCE at all. Like you guys had.

NO CHANCE at all.

FascistUSA | April 17, 2007 2:50 PM

Now, they are calling to take your gun rights away. I say Chance or NO Chance.

NO CHANCE at all.

FascistUSA | April 17, 2007 2:51 PM

BUSH AND GUNS
Is he really sorry?

From: http://pearlyabraham.tripod.com/htmls/myth-bush.html

* Concealed Weapons :
[ Dallas Morning News, 5/27/95; Oil and Gas Journal, 6/19/95 ]

* Bush Signed Bill Allowing Guns In Churches :

* Bush Failed to Enforce Existing Guns Laws in TX :
[ Houston Chronicle , 12/9/99 ]

* Gun Shows :
[ Houston Chronicle, 4/27/99; Fort Worth Star-Telegram, 5/22/99 ]

* Texas Leads the Nation in Number of Guns Shows.
[ San Antonio Express-News, 3/18/99, 4/14/99; South Bend Tribune, 2/18/99 ]

* Child Safety :
[ Christian Science Monitor, 5/13/99 ]

* Texas Received "D" in Protecting Kids from Guns.
[ Houston Chronicle, 9/15/98 ]

* Special Rights for Gun Makers :

* Texas Supplies Guns for Out-of-State Crimes :
[ Houston Chronicle, 6/13/99 ]

John | April 17, 2007 2:52 PM

Now, they are calling to take your gun rights away. I say Chance or NO Chance.

NO CHANCE at all.

FascistUSA | April 17, 2007 2:54 PM

I'am from london and Iwas watching the news. I would like to give my hart felt apologizes to the families of the students and teachers who were killed, also my prayers are with you.

I'am from a school called St. Aloysius College in North London(England).

Jean-Yves | April 17, 2007 4:11 PM

I would like to convey my deepest sympathy and support to Virginia Tech community.

Larry Morris | April 17, 2007 4:14 PM

As Tech's Engineering Science & Mechanics grad, I received the news of yesterday's massacre at Norris Hall by one lunatic with immense pain and sorrow. What makes it even more tragic for me personally was that Dr. Librescu was on my doctoral committee and was often the source of encouragement and inspiration. His loss is an immense loss for the engineering community.

God Bless Virginia Tech!

SK | April 17, 2007 4:20 PM

God Bless Virginia Tech!

SK | April 17, 2007 4:21 PM

I heard so much talk of community during the convocation. It is a necessity, but those who were willful and frivolous in helping us in a time of dire need maintain it need to answer for it. Apart from religious counselors, Zenobia Hikes was one of the few on stage to show real grief.
A provost and dean of students counselled the students wisely. As for Steeger, Kaine, Bush, compared to the faces I saw across Cassell Coliseum on tv, could anyone really believe it is real? These three, two who invoked Bible verses, looked glib to the extent that it looked for sure they had issues with what is going on. John here has detailed as well all the pro-NRA actions that the President has taken in office and he has done well.

One verse speaks of good overcoming evil. It will. Inaction, however, instead condones evil. For there to be community, guys, it has to be based on truth. If the truth is not absolutely forthcoming, then perhaps a purge is necessary, so that we can have it back. First a purge, then community. Real community, not a facade, then lets have VT heal as soon as possible and all time needed to share their sorrow, and including even the family from whom Cho Seung Hu came. They deserve our prayers perhaps most of all in this. If there is a time to judge them, it certainly is not now. They most likely either did not have any way of knowing or a real way of being able to prevent what happened. Especially after such mishandling of the crisis yesterday, they deserve as much as anybody, the special protection of Virginia law enforcement in the coming days and weeks ahead.

As for you, Eui, I sympathize with the national shame you feel, but according to the truth and the facts, we as Americans and without so compensatorily
being p.c. here as I heard at times during convocation, need to feel the greater shame. If any nation as a community should for the dereliction of duty by law enforcement on the campus in taking steps that the law not only asks for but demands - federal law - and
our failure at full oversight in time of such a crisis, that our leaders in society would instead suborn such foolishness instead of a true forthcoming about the case, as we see it now. Take comfort, Eui, that neither you nor your friends took part in the horrific crime that happened yesterday and did nothing to encourage that such should happen.

Virginia Tech needs to lead by example too. We had the same tragedy happen on a campus of ours in Texas in 1966. The same complacency affects our state government as apparently it also does that of the commonwealth by now. It could clearly happen here again, and I have reason to believe that we would not necessarily respond any better than your law enforcement did, if I read the tea leaves right. Governor Kaine made that all too readily apparent, and who is almost more insipid in expressing himself than W.

Students at V Tech and across the U.S., you are free and a free community for the free exchange of ideas and dialogue, inquiry.

Take what steps are reasonably necessary to protect your freedoms on campus and yourselves from such daemonic evil that took place yesterday.
Most of all today and the next few weeks, while continuing to demand answers, take good care of yourselves and comfort one another.

David S from Houston | April 17, 2007 4:22 PM

David S from Houston | April 17, 2007 4:24 PM

Anyone who tries to turn this tragedy into gun politics, (left or right) is a self-centered asshole. There, I said it.

Gun control, blah, blah, blah..... NRA, blah, blah blah..... Write your damn Senators and House Reps in Washington.

Let the hurt grieve. Eventually, they may heal.

God my Creator, grant me the serenity, to accept the things I can't change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Howard Johnson | April 17, 2007 4:26 PM

What a terrible event , prayers are with all those who died and their familes.

Shock and horror has been felt around the world,

Pl ; Belfast

Patrick Lismore | April 17, 2007 4:31 PM

What a terrible event , prayers are with all those who died and their familes. Im a student myself i could only imagine what people are going through.

Shock and horror has been felt around the world,

Pl ; Belfast

Patrick Lismore | April 17, 2007 4:33 PM

[QUOTE]32/33 is too many , for me 1 is .
Is not the time to ban guns in USA ?
Peace !

Posted by T.K.Saha | April 17, 2007 11:46 AM [QUOTE]

Guns is not the problem T.K.Saha. There`s more guns in Canada and they have less "gun incidents". We must heal, move on and learn from what happened.

God Bless you.

Eric | April 17, 2007 4:44 PM

I am from the Caribbean and I am deeply touched. I followed the news very late last night. My condolences go out to the families and friends within and without the Virginia Tech.

Now concerning the tragedy it is deeper than any of us can imagine. We are talking about a young man who lived in isolation and rejection it seems. He just didn't get up and say hey, I am going to kill innocent people at random. This was premeditated months or years ago. Obviously this guy was abuse or deceived by someone to be driven into this action.

He did a terrible thing, he was also controlled by demons to act out this senseless deed. His family should have clues into his behaviour.

Praying for a change.

Trez Jose | April 17, 2007 4:48 PM

Praying for a change.

Trez Jose | April 17, 2007 4:49 PM

Praying for a change.

Trez Jose | April 17, 2007 4:50 PM

I just want to say how the terrible events of yesterday has affected people around the world - I watched with horror on British television the unfolding events within your campus. The thoughts and prayers of myself and my family go out to all the families and friends of those that lost their lives. I know that the memories of yesterday will be remain with all of us for years to come - I hope that the close knit cummunity that exists within the campus will grow stronger as the days pass by and students will gell together to support each other. Our thoughst are very much with all those affected by this trajic event.

Malcolm Gaunt - UK | April 17, 2007 4:51 PM

Malcolm Gaunt - UK | April 17, 2007 4:52 PM

Malcolm Gaunt - UK | April 17, 2007 4:53 PM

I am reading this from England and im in total shock. Nobody can imagaine what your all going through and I hope that out of all this saddness something good will happen which will make everyone stronger. God bless you all!

Carls | April 17, 2007 4:53 PM

Praying for a change.

Trez Jose | April 17, 2007 5:31 PM

Our deepest sympathies and our most heartfelt prayers are with all the families involved in this horrifying incident that occured in VA this week. I am a mother of 3 and I can only imagine what grief so many families are going through at this moment. I have to wonder what the family of this "ill young man" are thinking at this moment also. We said strong prayers for all of those in need today at our Bible Study. I am sure they were and will be heard for all the days to come! God bless and keep you from harm...
Debra Ontario Canada

Debra and Family | April 17, 2007 5:41 PM

The deepest condolences from Russia. Ban the guns, let other live

Andrey | April 17, 2007 5:46 PM

Iagree with FascistUSA/ ID RATHER HAVE A CHANCE THEN NO CHANCE AT ALL!

ron | April 17, 2007 5:47 PM

In honor of our lost Hokies: Petition your legistature for HOKIE GUN RESTRICTION. IF we can't ban guns in Virginia, we can at least make it harder for a college student to get a semi-automatic hand gun.

p | April 17, 2007 6:09 PM

I'm so sorry about your lost. It is extremly scary for my town of Roanoke,Virginia. So many of our friends and family have children that go to Virginia Tech.We will keep all of the families,staff,and dtudents in pur prayers.

roanoke citizen | April 17, 2007 6:42 PM

roanoke citizen | April 17, 2007 6:42 PM

I'm sending my love and condolences to you all. I'm Canadian but am living in Tasmania, Australia at the moment. On 28 April 1996 a man shot and killed 35 people in a cafe here in this beautiful little picturesque city. Tasmanians know what you're going through and our hearts & thoughts are with you.

Pam Mellor | April 17, 2007 6:52 PM

I followed everything in the news surrounding this horrendous event, may god bless all those that have been directly or indirectly affected by this crime. Difficult times await, I'm sending my deepest thoughts of grief from Montreal, Canada

Alexia Corrado | April 17, 2007 7:19 PM

What can I say, how do I say it, all I know is this shouldnt be how life. I am of disbelief everytime I hear a story like this but I am not shocked, I almost feel to cry since sitting here reading the various posts of condolences. I agree whole heartedly to put my heart on a plate for the victims and thier families, we live in a terrible time still on earth, we have too much to bare as far as life goes, we are given life for free, we can take life so easily, but in our innocent hearts this is never what we want. We are driven apart from days of old with walls that devide and countries that collide, skin tones that cannot ride together in perfect harmony. We are all humans yet we cannot seem to become one and work out why the world is so messed up, we are trying to blame when we dont understand. We think we understand when really we dont, I put away hope and beg for understanding for equality in life is as valuable as life itself. An eye for an eye is fair and equal but when something bad happens someone has to be the better man. We cannot build a world to succeed on money, we must build it on love, we are free to educate ourselves and there is nothing left to fight over. We can be free but we fear what life is like without money to rule us but we have already forgotten that love is the order of the day. Who feels it knows it lord. I'm branded an atheist but I know theres more to life than the limits set before us, we only have to look and we see the saddest part of this is like the professor says, while he thanks Suresh for having the heart to publish such sadness he clearly recognises this will happen again. Lets stop it now, lets tell the leaders we need oneness and unity right around the world. we are all human beings, we all deserve betterment we should not fight because we feel intimidated, we should not feel intimidated. We insult each other for not dotting i's and not crossing t's but level of intellect holds no real right to more or less. Some of us work all our lives and cant afford to die, some of us work all our lives and feel robbed but see no robbery. We have no choice but to move forward, but how can we if we dont understand ? we need to fully understand the times we live in. They are confused times. We give our hearts out to those who need it most and barely leave any left for ourselves, so here have mine, i want it no more - cause I cannot change this world alone. I dont care if your a tree or a horse, so long as you have the blessing, we are human and we know we have knowledge to build so lets build a better world with the history we have. Its there in black and white for us all to see, so lets do it now for all eternity. Tell George Bush to his face, but tell him with love, for the future of life and the strength from up above. Please people. cry tears with me but do not despair, we only have one life, lets make it all fair. We cant go back because we are already there. Its not supposed to rhyme but sometimes it does, but think about this, a complete stranger shows love, to all on the face of the earth you can see, one man, one aim, and one destiny. When there was only one footprints, he carried me too. I bless you all. No excuses. Just reasons.

CGF | April 17, 2007 7:41 PM

this should be a sign for all of us. that what we do to our kids is affecting what happens when there older. God bless to all the lose VT has.

Randy Kopak | April 17, 2007 8:03 PM

Dear VT familys,
I am very sorry for your tragty.My cousin goes there but she was at her condo.I am very thankful.Once Again I am very sorry .And all of you are in my prayers.God is there with them.But the Gumman is in misery.

J.T.C. | April 17, 2007 8:46 PM

I live in Fremont, Ohio. I am very sorry to hear about this tragic incident. You are in not only my prayers, but the prayers of people internationaly.

Derek Langley | April 17, 2007 11:25 PM

to Howard Johnson - You said what a lot of people are thinking. This is a time for grieving, not a time to promote your cause. Guns do not kill people...unfortunately people kill people.

God Bless all of you who have been touched by this tragedy. May the good Lord comfort you in His loving embrace as He has done for those who lost their lives in this tragic event.

I would also like to express my condolences to the shooter's family. Not only do they bear the loss of a child but they bear the guilt, scrutiny, and loss of 32 other wonderful children of the Lord. May they be forgiven and find strength in the Lord's presence.

There are people out there who are effected differently by situations that arrise in their lives and their actions are often unjust and unfair. This young man was so troubled and touched by something that he felt the need to destroy his own life and many others. Could this have been prevented? Perhaps not. However, there are other people out there who feel the same as he did, and all they may need to change their mood is a simple "hello", a hug, or a kind word. Don't be the one to create an outcast. Everyone needs a friend. Whether they choose to admit it or not. Be someone's hero and touch a life. I lost a great friend to suicide and all I would have needed to do was give him a hug that day and tell him I was there. I'll never forgive myself for that and because of that, I have chosen to forgive others and be that friend. Life is a precious gift from the Lord and should be treasured forever.

Again, may God bless those who lost their lives at Virginia Tech and may the Lord be with those who are left behind to grieve. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Shelby | April 18, 2007 4:40 AM

My prayera are with the families of these precious souls. I have to make a statement on everyone screaming more gun control,well, if a few supervisors had their own guns that day CHO might not have been so brave.If the people who knew this young man, had been allowed to do anything about his strange behavior. He would NOT have gotten those guns. That is the promblem not the guns. He should have been REGISTERED as a danger to other people. All these rights we get with the constitution are getting innocent people killed.There are laws stating what to do with people who are a danger to others and to themselves.The laws need to change to protect us not the gun control.Hurting these SICK peoples feelings are not near as bad as letting this happen.Once again the public needed to know THIS GUY had a problem, and possilly put somewhere for his own safety much less all the people he has detroyed.Look at the whole picture.GET RID of the problem,not get rid of the GUNS...........I am so sorry for all who are hurtig right now.God Bless You All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alyce from WEST VIRGINIA

Alyce | April 18, 2007 2:00 PM

My prayers are with the families of these precious souls. I have to make a statement on everyone screaming more gun control,well, if a few supervisors had their own guns that day CHO might not have been so brave.If the people who knew this young man, had been allowed to do anything about his strange behavior. He would NOT have gotten those guns. That is the problem not the guns. He should have been REGISTERED as a danger to other people. All these rights we get with the constitution are getting innocent people killed.There are laws stating what to do with people who are a danger to others and to themselves.The laws need to change to protect us not the gun control.Hurting these SICK peoples feelings are not near as bad as letting this happen.Once again the public needed to know THIS GUY had a problem, and possilly should have been put somewhere for his own safety much less all the people he has destroyed.Look at the whole picture.GET RID of the problem,not get rid of the GUNS...........I am so sorry for all who are hurtig right now.God Bless You All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alyce from WEST VIRGINIA

Alyce | April 18, 2007 2:08 PM

Condolences to all of you who have been put through this tragedy. I have been following the news and it is very upsetting and horrible to know that a human being could create all this hurt for no proper apparent reason.No reason is good enough for this. There is no one else to blame but the shooter. May all those 33 students rest in peace and i am truly sorry for this loss. We all pray for you and send our love and condolences.

Ahlam El Sage
Sydney, Australia

Ahlam El Sage | April 18, 2007 2:14 PM

there is no words that i could write to heal anybodys pain, i just had to write and say how deeply sorry me and my family are for americas loss of such lovely people. god bless all the amily and friends. wrote with great love.

maria from england | April 18, 2007 3:09 PM

i was so shocked to hear of the terrible tragedy that has happened. so many innocent lives lost.my sympathies go to friends and relatives of those lost

carole | April 18, 2007 4:29 PM

So sad, so senseless. Everyone looks for love, but most do not know how to find it. Joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, come through faith and self control.

Christina Biernacki | May 2, 2007 1:36 AM

This is good that people can take the loan moreover, this opens up completely new possibilities.

MariaBrooks | November 22, 2010 12:44 PM