Video: Candlelight Vigil on the Drillfield

by Tim Leaton
April 18, 2007

Great video Tim, thanks for publishing it.

Andrew Mager | April 18, 2007 10:26 AM

peace and Respect
can the light of its candles brings a balsam on your sufferings

take care all

Thérèse from Québec | April 18, 2007 10:59 AM

taps? taps? taps played at this vigil, no disrespect intended, but this is not appropriate since none of this victims were military....

d rowan | April 18, 2007 11:54 AM

It's amazing grace in the video, not taps I'm so sorry for everyone's loss, this is truely a tragedy

ashley | April 18, 2007 12:01 PM

Respect, Peace, Love and light thank to show them the way.

Peace from France

Sylvie

Sylvie | April 18, 2007 12:39 PM

Let them rest in Peace.
I was so socked by this drama....I have lost my niece in Polytechnique.
My thoughts are with you from quebec city

Jean-Jacques Gélinas | April 18, 2007 3:04 PM

Let them rest in Peace.
I was so socked by this drama....I have lost my niece in Polytechnique.
My thoughts are with you from quebec city

Jean-Jacques G�linas | April 18, 2007 3:04 PM

as a parent of 2 daughters who will be going away for college in the fall my fear as a parent is we can never truly protect our children. My thoughts and prayers go out to each and every victim of Monday's tragedy. These were just innocent young adults attending school to better their lives. These senseless tragedys are seeming becomming part of our daily lives. i work in a school district 7th and 8th grade. I often ask myself what is wrong with our youth of today? They seem to be lacking values morals and for the most part sometimes just pure human compasion. This is not speaking for all youths of today but the select few. I think for the most part these values are not being taught at home, and that to me is quite disturbing. So as a society we need to take a better look at what is affecting our young of today and work towards a solution. Eventhough examples are taught everyday at school the brunt of the responsibility and role models must come from the home front. Again my heartfelf sympathy and prayers got out to the entire Virginia Tech Community, sincerly Gn Nunez

geri nunez | April 18, 2007 5:52 PM

d rowan, One of the victims was in the Virginia Tech Corpse of Cadets. Virginia Tech was a military acadamy before it was anything else. The Corpse of Cadets marching band playing Taps at this vigil was not only appropriate, but it was also very moving to all of us there. The thousands of individuals that came out last night were amazing. Thank all of you for sharing that moment and being there for each other. Hokie Nation is proud and prominent!

Adam | April 18, 2007 9:22 PM

This is such a good video. Keep the spirit up HOKIES

Soccerrocks0105 | April 18, 2007 9:23 PM

I just want to concur with Adam's response to D Rowan. VT's relationship with the military has always been a prominent one and although Taps is typically used for military memorials it is not reserved just for the military.

Here are the lyrics for TAPS as found on scoutsongs.com

Taps

Day is done, gone the sun,
From the lake, from the hills, from the sky;
All is well, safely rest, God is nigh.

Fading light, dims the sight,
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright.
From afar, drawing nigh, falls the night.

Thanks and praise, for our days,
'Neath the sun, 'neath the stars, neath the sky;
As we go, this we know, God is nigh.

Sun has set, shadows come,
Time has fled, Scouts must go to their beds
Always true to the promise that they made.

While the light fades from sight,
And the stars gleaming rays softly send,
To thy hands we our souls, Lord, commend.

Amy | April 19, 2007 7:07 PM

May The gentel breeze of the Candles,take the Angles of Virgina to Heaven Safely.

Jim O'Connor | April 22, 2007 7:39 AM